chinese brown etched swan. Any thoughts on authenticity

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Apr 30, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

this came up at an auction a few weeks ago. I passed on it but I'm still not sure if maybe this was the real deal. 22324225_IMG7524.jpg 74664603_IMG7520.jpg 47336992_IMG7507.jpg 99663474_IMG7510.jpg 17834417_IMG7511.jpg

Rayo56 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

How is it etched?

JMHO, with that painted on staining on the bottom and the rim, I think very new trying to look old.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You didn't miss out, this is certainly a very modern one, possibly almost new.

4. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

oh yeah that stuff on the bottom. I thought they were abrasions like someone had deliberately aged it so it looked suspect.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. Deliberate aging to bottom is red flag.

Debora

Bakersgma and sunday silence like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's not a deliberate fake; it's new not trying too hard to fool anyone but doing it anyway by accident.

sunday silence likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone went to the cost and trouble of smearing brown paint on bottom.

Debora

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

But brown paint not rubbed off is just meant to look like, not look exactly like. In my opinion anyway. But then I grew up with some in the house.

9. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Fake Qian Long chop. The brown on the bottom is faking old, commonly used to "age" pieces.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a pass.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Intended to deceive, no excuses, plain fake.;) The 'dirt' isn't paint, it washes off.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted