Chinese Buddha Incense Burner

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by PaulaJedi, Dec 16, 2015.

1. PaulaJedi

PaulaJedi Member

I am interested in a ball park value of this incense burner. I see them range from $20-$495 on Ebay, but those don't have the same mark on the bottom. This looks like Jade, but I don't know if it's real Jade or not or if Jade is even valuable. There is a Chinese (?) mark on the bottom. Does that mean anything? Any information on this piece would be greatly appreciated. Photos attached.

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
    • b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      76.4 KB
      Views:
    • b3.jpg
      b3.jpg
      File size:
      346.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I tried for a better view of the mark -

b2.jpg

Ladybranch and PaulaJedi like this.
  3. PaulaJedi

PaulaJedi Member

Thanks. I didn't know which way to turn it, but it's visible at least. :)

4. PaulaJedi

PaulaJedi Member

Forgot to mention: It's 4" tall and 3" in diameter.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I never know which way they go either. :)

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of these markings. It doesn't look like Chinese or Japanese characters to me. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Asian languages will chime in.

I do think this pot shaped incense burner with 3 legs, dragon handles and feet, and topped with a happy Buddha is handsome. I'm not sure of the material, but don't think it is jade?? You might look through the following website of incense burners. It has quite an array of them cataloged by Location, Material, Shapes, Figure, and Type. Do look through "Location" > "Asia" that includes China, Japan, India and Korea. You will see several with dragon head handles and dragon/beast feet. To get a feel of what jade ones look like, look through the category "Material" > "Precious Stone."
    http://www.kandaki.com/

The site has plenty of pictures, but does lack detailed info on the burners. Some of them include a link to a site on line where the particular burner is or was located at one time. The images enlarge when clicked.

--- Susan

PaulaJedi likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe Korean? Not sure...

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

This is a decorative/souvenir type item. Metal construction is individually fabricated brass pieces soldered together, a method not normally used in historic/collectible orientalia. Bowl is probably ceramic, not natural mineral, but given the low quality of this item, if it is a mineral it is an ordinary souvenir-stock mineral like alabaster, onyx, etc. The mark on the bottom is meaningless given the junky item it is on. Value IMO is at the low end of what you were seeing on Eboo.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    PaulaJedi likes this.
  9. PaulaJedi

PaulaJedi Member

Ok, this is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the honesty! I will probably just put it in the shop. Won't waste my time on it. It makes sense because it came with some other items that were sort of junky, BUT it does look cool for someone who likes Asian stuff. Thanks again.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Spring? Are you getting cranky? Dare I say Jaded?

I don't think it is as bad as Spring thinks. While I agree that this is not an old or high-end item, I have seen a lot worse. I do think the base material is some kind of stone. Maybe soapstone or dyed alabaster. I don't know if it is ebay worthy or not. It is the kind of thing I would put in my shop at less than $30.00 to start and mark down if necessary at some point.

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You can try to tell diff between ceramic and stone if you need to, stone bowl shapes are lathe-turned nowadays and will be pretty much perfectly even and smooth over all surfaces. Any little pops, bumps, blisters usually mean ceramic. If this item has a solid stone body it is probably worth 20% more than a ceramic one. Still junk IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted