Featured Chinese Celadon Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jul 25, 2021.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Bought a nice plate. 6" across. Can someone help with the mark? I have been to Gotheborg...unless I missed it.

gplate1.JPG gplate2.JPG gplate3.JPG

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I haven't found a useful list of these pseudo marks. They were common in the mid to late 19th century. Supposedly they are based on real marks, often the reign marks although I get the feeling many were just made up/copied by illiterate workers from a picture.

3. Elias Josefsson

Elias Josefsson Active Member

AN 18TH CENTURY CHINESE QIANLONG MARK & PERIOD .

4. kraftblue

Thank you Ce BCA and Elias!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an apocryphal/honorific mark, not of the period. Lovely celadon colour, but both the sloppy mark and the spotting are clear signs that it is not Qianlong.
    As Ce said, mid to late 19th century. Made in one of the periods of unrest, when quality control was often lacking. But even with the imperfections, a pretty plate, and antique.

6. kraftblue

Any, someone else tells me this is Daoguang.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Imo, with a sloppy mark like that you need a Chinese reader to see what it is meant to resemble.
    I would think those spots are more consistent with the Xianfeng and Tongzhi periods, the periods of political and social unrest, when emperors had other things on their minds than porcelain quality control.
    Let's see what more @Ce BCA can tell us.:)

aaroncab likes this.
  9. kraftblue

Bakers I go to that site alot.

Any my mark is similar to the Tongzhi mark.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm glad you looked!

11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It won't be earlier than the mid 19th century, this is when they started to make them like this. It was probably intended to be painted with a rose medallion or rose mandarin pattern, the foot rim fault looks like it was from firing, so it may have been a reject, hence not decorated.

12. kraftblue

Thank you Ce BCA.

Draft saved Draft deleted