Featured Chinese celadon small plate with enamel flowers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Just found this in a charity shop in Bury. The mark looks a bit muddier than the examples I have seen online so don't know it it's the real McCoy or an imposter. It's about 15cm Ø

IMG20240414130120_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240414130128_copy_4000x3000.jpg

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Looks right to me, a late 19thC one.

3. Chinoiserie

Cool. Thank you.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I have one like it!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

I am in two minds whether to keep it or not. I don't think I'll get much for it, especially with the hairline.

6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

agree not super valuable but also agree old and worth grabbing.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. Chinoiserie

It was 1GBP so no brainer really.

J Dagger and kentworld like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Mine has a different mark on it. It also has a couple of small chips, so dunno why I bought it. I paid around $30 CDN back in the 90s probably, so when china was going for higher prices than the depressed market of today. I think I was attracted by the celadon colour. I have a note on the back. There was an ebayer, Chitong (IIRC), who was well-versed in Asian porcelain and pottery. He was a regular on the old ebay boards (when those sort of shut down, Antiquers was born), and he said about mine, Chinese shop mark; likely Tongzhi period, 1861-1875.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. Chinoiserie

I've got a flat full of stuff that I haven't a clue why I bought it. I have always wanted a piece of celadon too and now I do. I think I will stick it on the chest of drawers with the other oriental relics.

kentworld and J Dagger like this.
  10. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

I believe few of these are tongzhi & some will have his mark. Tons of these was was made without enamels painting possible painted later in tongzhi. If you search of famille rose celadon, you will find few Characteristics of daoguang & jiaqing & tongzhi. I have a pdf where you van see mandarin celadon famille rose dating to 1840s

Chinoiserie likes this.
  11. Chinoiserie

I will have a look thanks

12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Looks right. Usually 19th century

Chinoiserie likes this.
  13. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Tongzhi or jiaqing mark. Idk if blank celadon painted after at mid 19th early late qing. You can find famille rose export just like this in white ground or with mandarin/canton...they did continued am pretty sure looks different

Chinoiserie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted