Chinese Coin Date

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Brubaker50, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Looking some help to date this large 78 mm coin . A0F1CFF0-8E9F-4BBA-AF7B-725E66EEC3A8.jpeg C0CD645C-1222-45D0-8AF5-83C4C7E7D9AD.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

i need help likes this.
  3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have some reproductions of old American coins, mercury head dime and american indian penny in the same size, so I think some company must have been making jumbo coins, hoping there would be a market to collect them. I doubt that market was ever very active. (davey's link won't open in my browser).

i need help likes this.
  4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Home > Coin & Money
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chinese Jumbo Coin Black and Gold - 3 Inch
    Item:
    Brand:
    Unit:
    kg
    Weight: 0.080 kg
    Features:
    List Price:
    $20.00
    Price: $4.80

5. Brubaker50

Yes it’s a large coin but don’t think it’s too modern , have found the marks for the second photo but it’s the characters at the front are a puzzle haven’t seen anything like those particular ones.Thank you all for looking .

6. Brubaker50

Inscription on the one side of coin the more complicated script reads Life Without Limit , wondered if anyone would know if the have seen a charm this size apparently it could be a fake piece.

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Feng shui item:D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

萬壽無疆 - boundless longevity
    wàn shòu wú jiāng
    A direction word for word translation doesn't really do it justice, it is basically an idiom wishing someone boundless longevity, 'long may you live' kind of thing.
    It is not a real coin, often referred to as a feng shui item as kryatango mentioned, meant to bring about luck and good fortune in life. There are other coins of this type which carry other messages wishing good wealth (financially speaking), and good health (not solely a long life, but a healthy one).

It was good to give several coins, as you would be covering all bases, not just wishing someone a long life, whilst potentially being sick and poverty stricken.

There are many such coins made still today, which are designed to look old, with pock marks and patina.
    You read the Chinese on the coin in this order, Top-Bottom-Right-Left.

天下太平 - world peace
    tiān xià tài píng
    Hopefully self-evident what the message here is. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Brubaker50

Yes the coin above is obviously modern but try finding one similar to mine at that size , nowhere I’ve looked .Yes it’s a charm but it’s been described as fake to me but can’t figure out why anyone would fake something that isn’t high value cause I can’t find any other for sale.

10. Couch Potato Wannabe

I certainly would not describe it as a fake coin, as it is obviously the wrong size and is clearly not something intended to be passed off as genuine currency.

I'm sure if you searched for Large Feng Shui Coin, or even Extra Large Feng Shui Coin on eBay you'd find some of these coins there.

kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It can't be called a coin because it has not been monitized, it has no money value or date impressed on it.

It can't be called fake as it is not a copy or replica of a known coin.

It is a fantasy item that looks like an old coin.

Jeff Drum and kyratango like this.
  12. Couch Potato Wannabe

In this situation, the use of the word coin here, is simply to facilitate the search algorithm in hopes of finding more of these in order to obtain a potential value of the 'coin'

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you google "decorative large chinese coin" you'll see many examples. It was probably on the wall in a Chinese restaurant. The ones I saw all had different characters.