Chinese doll in rough shape Is this a scam or the real thing nice silk clothing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mugzinnys, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180708_100918.jpg 20180708_100923.jpg 20180708_100926.jpg 20180708_100929.jpg 20180708_100929(0).jpg 20180708_100931.jpg 20180708_101129.jpg 20180708_101133.jpg 20180708_101137.jpg 20180708_101206.jpg 6y 20180708_100918.jpg 20180708_100923.jpg 20180708_100926.jpg 20180708_100929.jpg 20180708_100929(0).jpg 20180708_100931.jpg 20180708_101129.jpg 20180708_101133.jpg 20180708_101137.jpg 20180708_101206.jpg This doll I came across at the flea market while talking to vendor associate. An elderly lady produced a doll in a shadow like wooden box inside she had attached around the body of this doll a wire that was secured in the back to keep the doll position in the box.

My major purchase today was a Lee Reynolds astract painting. The signature was easy to read, a google's check confirmed that his painting were actively online in the1500.00 to 2500.00 range. The sun is so hot today and it is only around 10:30.The glare from the sun make it difficult to do any serious research on the phone.The vendor only wanted 18.00 for it okay, why not. its 11:00 and getting hotter by the minute, so I head home. Get home exhausted from the mornings adventue and I just want to flop down on the bed too tire to even remove my shoes. But I gather enough energy to type into my lap top Lee Reynolds. What I discovered was that he was a art teacher and he allowed his students to use the name Lee Reynold on all types of paintings, so there are hundred and hundreds of paintings with the name Lee Reynolds on them. And to top it off when he signed a painting he used the name Lee Burr. So down the drain goes the previous google estimate that I used to justify the purchase.

Now back to the doll There is nothing in the art world faked more than Chinese artifacts. Now here is this doll it looks older tha Methuselah in these raggedy silk clothes worns and damage looking it beyond life support.
    The vendor askes me if I am interest in selling it for him online. In my mind my "Id" is seeing dollar signs but my "Super-Ego is seeing the the Lee Reynolds painting.

I would appreciate all the input anyone wishes to share on this one.
    Takingpicture in the glaring hot sun was not easy and not reall wanting to handle the doll too much in its delicate condition was not ideal. So I took so image to begin the research on this doll and would have get better ones on another day perhaps a cloudy day.
    Thanks
    Need all the help and input and shared knowledge I can get on this one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    i need help and kyratango like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mugz, the doll is real and a genuine antique. It is lovely, but as you already noticed, in bad condition. I can't really say more about it, @Christmasjoy and @judy are our doll people.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The doll is "real" as AJ said, and as said, in poor condition.

IMMHO, it would not be worth listing the doll. Sometimes when a doll is in poor shape, the original clothing is desirable.

This is not the case here.

Most Asian dolls do not appeal to the general doll collector.

Exceptions to every rule of course.

Perhaps Joy will chime in.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A similar doll......completed listing, eBay.

Sandra likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Strange.....I tried 3 different times to link the doll's listing, and a different doll showed up.

The same as with the # I posted above. It shows a different doll.

This is the doll similar to yours....it sold for $9.95.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the small image. I c/p.

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I was hoping it would "click to enlarge", but it doesn't.

i need help and kyratango like this.
  7. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ Judy any guest as to its age and is it a boy doll?

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

I would say boy, yes.

Somewhere around the turn of the Century.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Composition head, looks like, i.e. sawdust and glue. This may be a Western doll made to look like a Chinese doll, or a Chinese doll made for export. I'm not doll expert enough to know the difference. There was a fad for them here in the West for a while.

i need help likes this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hi Mugz :) .. I was away from the computer for a while and just caught this thread .. It was so strange to see your doll as I have the exact same doll hanging on the wall in front of me. My boy is 6'' tall and only the outfit is a little different .. blue pants with red stripe on cuff and red embroidered shirt with embroidery on the front, also a red skull cap with blue stripe on the rim. My little doll was purchased in Hong Kong in 1954 when my Aunty visited there. These dolls were several different sizes and there are also girl dolls that have a kimona on. My Aunt purchased it as a souvenier of her visit .. I don't know whether they were made earlier than when she bought hers but most likely were. They are not an expensive purchase even now .. but they are sure cute and were well made .. my guy is still in wonderful condition and was the start of my doll collection .. enjoy him .. he brings good luck, Joy.

komokwa, judy and i need help like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

By the way, I really don't think it would pay well to put him up for auction in that condition, they don't bring in more than $20 bucks in excellent condition. I don't think they are yet "antique" either. Your doll was most likely 'played' with and took a beating .. mine was only ever in my mothers hands and then mine. Keep him as is and love him, Joy.

komokwa, judy and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It was very nice to see this doll and I’ll try to remember some of the information everyone has shared on the subject. Just as with many other vintage and antique items, not as much value as one might expect. What a shame.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

AHHH .. But as a doll lover the value is in the heart :) ... But as the subject is buying and selling you are of course right, win some lose some :) .. Joy.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Unfortunately that is a recent change that eBay made. I just tried the item number and I was able to find the original listing by scrolling pretty far down a page that came up. I clicked on the picture of the doll that came up in the brief listing. The full listing was, as I said, available farther down. Sometimes when you click it goes to a completely different page without the original listing being visible. Sounds like this is what happened to you.

We have a thread or two somewhere here complaining about this new behavior of eBay search!

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Fig.......Thank you for the explanation.

Long after I posted, I searched for something else (not related) and was redirected.

At that point, I remembered the discussion here.

Thanks again for your post.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome, @judy --

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted