Chinese embroidery, learning experience

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Nope. Pretty much guaranteed to have a thin greenish-goldish back on the piece so you won't see much.

And I'm already convinced about what it is, so don't do anything on my account. ;)

kyratango likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Follow up to previous, same thrift had another piece from the same gallery. As Cheryl found, the store was started close to 1974 (according to their anniversary sticker it was actually 1968). And another Chinese piece, needlepoint this time. Variability in stitch size makes me again assume handmade. Assuming this was made at time of sale and not before, was needlepoint machine made in China in 1988? I'll assume that this one is not worth buying either? IMG_20190316_165622587.jpg IMG_20190316_165628537.jpg IMG_20190316_165638012.jpg

3. Jivvy

Seems to be missing its mate -- I suspect both of these are older than yours (your pattern is less refined than the worthpoint one, can't really see the other one well enough to tell).

Not sure how to determine where/when yours was made. Don't think it's old, no.

unfortunately, this first one is a pinterest pin linked to an ebay error message

temp01.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-chinese-likely-qing-dynasty-1787922497

temp02.jpg

kyratango and DragonflyWink like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My guess is that the needlepoint ones were made from a kit in the west and not in China.

kyratango, DragonflyWink and Jivvy like this.
  5. Jivvy

That would be my guess as well. This bear rank badge from the met museum was exhibited in 1978, 1979, and 1989. Wouldn't be shocked to find a dragon in one of those exhibits that is similar to the recent needlepoint pieces.

main-image.jpeg

kyratango and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, could be from a kit, could have been done for export by Chinese workers - regardless they would have been done by hand, variance due to the skill of the needleworkers. Also doubt it dates much earlier than the anniversary label would indicate. Not sure anyone said any of the pieces weren't worth buying, I've sold some modern needlework for decent money, as with anything else, you look for comparables.

Just to be clear, I was careful to say the shop was incorporated in 1974 (noting the 'Inc.' on the label), that wouldn't necessarily be the date they started up, which you now know was 1968...

~Cheryl

kyratango, Bakersgma and Jivvy like this.
  7. Jivvy

kyratango likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

fwiw, that second one looks awfully like some of the tapestry kits my Ma made in the 70s and 80s. Printed canvases with wools.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Jivvy

I felt the need to come back to this. I am not a seller. I buy things on occasion. And occasionally clear out some of my hoard by listing items on ebay (though... it's been years since I last "cleared out").

My posts are almost never about what's worth buying or selling. The first pieces you posted, yes, I totally got stuck on the consideration of machine vs hand... but the fact is -- it doesn't matter. They're "made for export" pieces, they're pretty available on ebay, and the value is decorative.

(SIDE NOTE: With average modern embroidery, it can be very tough to know if it's hand or machine work without seeing the back -- still NOT recommending you remove this piece.)

The needlepoint piece? That one has some issues (again, my opinion is not about monetary value). The design has been overly simplified -- which actually makes it harder to follow what's going on -- to the point that the stitcher totally mucked up one of the eyes (no iris).

Does needlepoint like this sell? Not a clue. I do not like most modern needlepoint, it's not something I buy.

(ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: I was at a family member's house a few years back and she had purchased these brightly colored "magazine craft pattern" crocheted Christmas pillows that were straight out of my childhood -- I thought they were awful, but apparently they were "hot" and ebay bidding quite competitive.)

I'm just saying... I'm almost always about the object, not about whether it's a good buy.

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

In my youth, was skilled enough at needlepoint, that for a time, I stitched the examples of a company's kits that were photographed for the packaging (complicated designs, unusual and varied yarns, etc.) - as Jivvy suggests, your piece shows limited skill, with many errors in technique, and does point to more amatuer work, a paid worker would likely be held to a better standard. That said, some people don't have the eye to see the problems, and frankly, while this isn't anything that I might consider hanging on a wall, others would (I also used to take needlepoint out of the frames, using it for pillows or upholstering small footstools, they sold well for me).

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Bakersgma, KikoBlueEyes and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted