Featured Chinese export silver incense holder

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Chris Mount, May 8, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

I was led to believe that's what this is can anyone confirm at all. Also any ideas on age. It has a couple of issues does anyone think it would be fixable happy to pay to get it back to its best. No marks but is silver and 125mm long Thanks chris 15257683179160.jpg 15257683180371.jpg 15257683180892.jpg 15257683520213.jpg

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Oh my god.

No, that is not an incense burner.

If it's what I think it is...then it is a Peranakan silver betel-leaf holder.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Would've been made in China for the Peranakan/Straits-Chinese market in Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaya, Indonesia).

Would be early 1900s (no later than the 1930s).

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a very beautiful Indonesian sirih or betel leaf holder. Not Chinese Export, but made by a Peranakan silversmith, probably in Java.
    The Peranakan, or Straits Chinese, are people of Chinese descent in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.
    Just send it to me and I'll fix the issues.:D

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. Shangas

Screw you, send it to me!! My family was Peranakan!! :eek:

5. Any Jewelry

Descendant of the Chinese Captain of Tuban, Java here!:pompous::playful:

6. Shangas

My ancestors were Peranakan goldsmiths! I want it! I want it!! NO FAIR!! :'(

kyratango, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

I was first, besides, this girl has been waiting for me to buy her sirih (betel) for a long time, and I have nowhere to put it.:( Just look at her face.
    [​IMG]
    This is the way it is rolled up, before it is put in the holder.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. Chris Mount

Wow thanks for the responses. Awesone! Wasn't advertised as that it was 200 dollars which considering the condition thought may have been a little high but maybe not. Just googled and was interesting reading appreciate that.
    The question still stands though is it fixable ot just leave as it is. Thinking about it and just how nice it is and could be, could it be repaired or do you need to see clearer pictures.
    Thanks again chris

9. Shangas

I would definitely consider $200 worth the price (although of course any discount is always good).

If you can find someone to fix it, so much the better. I don't think I need to emphasize, and I daresay AJ would agree with me, that Peranakan antiques - in particular silver & goldware of Peranakan origins, are rare. I would clean it, get it fixed, and love it for the rest of your life. Don't sell it! I doubt you'll ever get another one.

10. Chris Mount

Thanks shangas appreciate the reply. Will see who I can find to maybe have a look at it for me. Definitely keeping it especially after what you find folk have told me.

11. Any Jewelry

12. Shangas

See? Toldja!

Keep it, dude. You'll probably never find another one in your life. I speak from nearly 10 years chasing Peranakan antiques. I only have a handful. And my father's side was Peranakan going back for centuries.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NOW, NOW, CHILDREN!!!!!!!!! Let's play NICE!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

14. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Shangas

AJ and I are always squabbling over this stuff! You know that!!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

If you are able to find someone to repair the damage I hope you will show the results.

Do you live in or near a large metropolitan city? Maybe someone at one of the larger museums could help you out.

judy likes this.
  17. Shangas

Try and find yourself a manufacturing jeweler or silversmith. They should be able to help. It may cost a bit, but with something that rare, it's worth it!

judy likes this.
  18. Chris Mount

Live close to Melbourne and have a quick look but will be doing a bit more research tonight definitely want to do it. Should I just give it a clean with a bit of dishwashing liquid and warm water at the moment. Will appreciate your advice.
    will keep you posted if I find someone like the museum idea might email them first.

judy likes this.
  19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@ Chris Mount

Soft toothbrush and baking soda paste.

judy likes this.
  20. Chris Mount

Thanks holly give it s go

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted