Chinese Floor Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Birty, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Birty

Birty New Member

A92B589F-07DB-40C8-9EF6-192D634DDF37.jpeg A78909DD-DC5D-4658-9FD2-0792F6D86E99.jpeg DCDB3363-DA91-4831-A004-909E82CF5C4B.jpeg 8F85F6A7-617C-4536-901D-1FEE144C7E4E.jpeg Hey everyone, I have a chinese floor vase and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of the manufacturer/age from the inscription on the base? I have no idea where to begin other than taking it somewhere to get valued. Any help would be appreciated! 50p or £50 I would love to know haha....height is roughly 4 foot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Birty.
    Your vase is pretty recent. The mark refers to an earlier period. That doesn't mean it is a fake, 'old' marks are often put on porcelain as a tribute to a great age in Chinese culture.
    When you post pictures, could you please click on full image so everyone can see them?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    judy likes this.
  3. Birty

Birty New Member

Thanks for your reply! I picked it up for cheap a few years ago so have just got round to seeing how much I could possibly sell it for as it’s taking up a bit of space in the living room haha.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It certainly is a big one. You could still make a profit on what you spent, it depends on how the market is in your area for big Chinese vases.;)

judy likes this.
  5. Birty

Birty New Member

How would I even describe it? Is there an accurate description of the marking and/or age?

6. Any Jewelry

It is late Canton style with gilding. The scene is of a high-ranking official, maybe a general, having tea. The scene is surrounded by auspicious symbols.
    The accurate description of the age is late 20th century. The mark is often called an apocryphal mark, which in this case means not authentic. I would leave it out, or call it 'of a later date'.

dgbjwc, Houseful, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  7. Birty

Birty New Member

Great, thanks for your help. I will keep you updated!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted