Featured Chinese Fluorite Lamp Rescue - Questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 19, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I had to rescue this poor dirty, chipped and mangled thing - pictures at the bottom. I have done some research on these lamps because I wanted to be sure it started out as a lamp, which
    this exemplar shows it did as it has the same lower parts of the base:

[​IMG]

And whether the light within the fluorite was original. Mine is missing the top piece.

[​IMG]

My questions for the group are as follows:

1. Should I dismantle the lamp and just display it as a carved piece of fluorite? I am going to have to take it apart to clean it anyway and to get rid of the copper wire holding the neck of the lamp to the fluorite.
    2. How should I deal with the chips? Can I smooth them out with something? @Hollyblue do you have some advice?
    IMG_1685 (1).jpg IMG_1686.jpg IMG_1687.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would get rid of all electrical parts and just use a small tea light. It looks like it needs a good cleaning. It would make a wonderful display piece.
    greg

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Fluorite is a soft and fragile stone,it has 3 distinct cleavage plains.If you were to drop it on a hard surface you would probably end up with a hundred pieces.I woudn't try to do anything with the chips,just clean the dirt off of it.

4. KikoBlueEyes

Greg Thanks for your feedback. All my lighting fixtures are stained glass - vintage and modern. I'm thinking it wouldn't fit in as a lamp. Kiko

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Hollyblue. Thanks for responding. I can live with that. Kiko

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kiko, did you rescue it off of a curb? Wondering minds want to know.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

No not off a curb. There is a monthly antique market where I live with hundreds of sellers. There are the regulars and the occasional or one time vendors. This was perched precariously on a table with a bunch of other things at a buy cheap - sell cheap - name your price type of occasional seller. I figured it wouldn't last much longer in his care.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am glad you rescued it. It is beautiful and deserves better, even if it has chips and is missing its top. As Greg said, it will make a wonderful display piece.

10. KikoBlueEyes

AJ Thanks for your thoughts. I've been leaning in that direction and I have a place near a window that will allow the sun to stream through it. Kiko

Draft saved Draft deleted