Chinese Immortals silk dolls frame and unframed Vintage Wall art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Image00001.jpg Image00007.jpg Image00008.jpg Image00014.jpg Image00028.jpg Image00011.jpg Image00013.jpg Image00021.jpg Image00033.jpg I know some what the story of the 8 immortals from googling, so much more to learn. A very interest legend of Chinese culture. Any information on the process, age or area of origin in China of these dolls will be greatly appreciated. The framed one is 30 1/4" x 11 1/4 and in pretty good condition, but contains a 9th figure, Who is the 9th figure? The un-framed one is in rough shape and in need of some expert repair, can it be repaired? They each had a supernatural power which came from different tools as the story goes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I remember those. 1960s. The unframed one could well be a waste paper basket. (Really.)

Debora

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora for the 1960s recollection

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, remember those as well. Fun 60s Chinese export items.
    The framed one seems to have two female figures, so not the eight immortals.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I always thought they were rather chic. The world wasn't flooded with poor quality Chinese imports then. The kind of thing found in a higher end decorating boutique. Went well with MCM furniture.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like a female on the right end in the unframed one as well.....also looks like a boat-load of work went into making them!!!!! Very interesting!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

One female is good, two is not. As far as the eight immortals go, that is. One of the immortals, He Xian Gu, is 'the Immortal Woman'.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a single one of these - second one from the left in the first picture. He came attached to the ribbon on a Christmas gift, some time in the 80's. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted