Chinese jad hook belt. Approx date?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by benbenny007, Jul 13, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

20170713_143835_resized.jpg 20170713_143850_resized.jpg Got this piece probably made from different pieces into one

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    kyratango and toomanytocount like this.
  2. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

From 2000 or so, I became involved with Chinese and Japanese decorative items, as well as all sorts of exports.
    The dragon is an important symbol in China and Japan. For China it represents the Emperor, with 5 claws, less than that it represents lesser officials. It also has a connection with the Asian Buddhist religion and it's symbols.
    I discovered that post 1950, after the Communist government was established yet maintained a very lucrative export presence for the Western markets, a lot of pieces were made of various parts. Some were quite amusing, as the people doing it did not know how the original looked, for example: applying handles upside down.
    Not surprised to see your mirror and I believe your own perception of various items having been used to make a whole piece.
    This does not necessary mean some part are old or antique. The stone belt hook was one of those exports too, claimed as jade then but was serpentine. Your belt hook or handle is nicer than most, with very detailed carved two layer design. Hope this helps some. :D

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What is the overall size or length of that piece, Benb? To me it looks lovely!!! Is there meant to be a separation between the two pieces on the front??

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I saw this on the AR just the other day.
    Yes , a belt hook.......and done in the same style carving as I'd seen.....
    but the AR pointed out the one they were showing was old jade...white with a green tinge ....and was valuable and rare.......

More research needed here........as it seems they made lots of these...well after the 19th century...

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are still making them, of course. And few of them are jade.
    I remember seeing a lot of these composite mirrors and magnifying glasses in the 70s, they were new at the time. The two layered carving on this hook is nice.

Ming's of Honolulu used to make beautiful jade necklaces with a miniature belt hook through a jade ring as clasp.

6. Any Jewelry

Asian dragon symbolism is ancient, widespread, and complicated.
    The five and four claw difference you refer to was prevalent in the Yuan dynasty.
    In the Ming and Qing dynasties the five clawed dragon was reserved for the emperor, meaning only the emperor was allowed to use it. Benny's dragon clearly dates from a later time, when there were no more emperors.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    judy and benbenny007 like this.
  7. toomanytocount

My reference focus was to how the dragon symbol was used during the 20th century on export items made in China and Japan. I agree with you, there is much more to it than what I wrote, but there is only so much you can provide on a site like this that does not specialize in this category.

The number of claws matter when comparing Japanese and Chinese pieces with dragons of the 20th century. Japan rarely used more than 3 claws on theirs, with other differences in style as well.

Glad you offered your knowledge about this, hope we can share more with other items. :joyful:

judy, benbenny007 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I am sure we will, since we both have an interest in things Asian.
    I thought I'd better make clear to Benny that he is not the proud owner of a rare imperial mirror.;)
    I've seen so many hopes raised and crushed in people who are not acquainted with the complexities and timeline of Asian symbolism.
    I am pretty acquainted with it, but that's all. There is someone on the forum, khl, who knows much more, but probably won't reply. It would be a day job to reply to every Asian query in this forum.

9. toomanytocount

It's funny how that happens, some antique information sites, have several well versed Asian collectors and others none but the very basics. I think we all have something to share in any case. It does get a bit much when you are the only one providing info. Kind of a never ending conveyor belt.... LOL
    I like this site, as it has a nice mix of all kinds of categories. Thank you AJ. :)

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

OK girls......get a room ! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::eek:

11. toomanytocount

Ha Ha Ha! First time for everything.....

benbenny007, judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I think we do pretty well on this forum, there are people who know about jade, keris (yours truly), Chinese and Japanese porcelain, Indian colonial silver, Indian colonial woodwork, etc.
    Shangas has Peranakan (Straits Chinese) knowledge, which is rare.
    Khl is Chinese, and we have some other Chinese people who occasionally pop in.
    I have a background in both Asian antiques and theology, so that helps with 'Asian miscellaneous' and spirituality/symbolism.
    That's what I like too, and many take an interest in several categories, so you get a crossover, which often leads to more information and a bigger picture.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted