Featured Chinese Maybe? Wood Bangle 14kt Gold Dragon

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by libbyloodle, Dec 14, 2020.

1. libbyloodle

libbyloodle Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this?

Thanks much, in advance :)

wood bangle 14kt dragon (2).jpg
    wood bangle 14kt dragon (1).jpg
    wood bangle 14kt dragon (3).jpg
    wood bangle 14kt dragon (4).jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. Aquitaine

i need help, Bronwen, TraceyB and 4 others like this.
  4. libbyloodle

Nope. But I will.

5. libbyloodle

I don't see anything, so far. I'll look again tomorrow in the daylight. You think the maker would be on the tail?

i need help, Bronwen and TraceyB like this.
  6. Aquitaine

It could be anywhere, or un-signed, but it's a nice enough looking piece that one would hope it would be signed....look carefully ALL over, since it's marked 14K!! Others will chime in at some point as well!!

KSW, i need help, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  7. libbyloodle

This was bugging me. Made me remember a picture I took of something/some pc of jewelry that looked like letters every time I looked at it. Had to go searching for it. Turns out it was a picture of this bangle. Can you see to the right of the 14k mark, on the side of his head, what looks like letters? I looked at that area directly with a loupe just now and really can't make it out clearly. Not sure it is letters, or might it be in Chinese characters? Maybe tomorrow I'll try for a better picture.
    IMG_20200223_174840584 2.jpg

i need help, Bronwen, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny...now i see K K !

9. libbyloodle

What looks like KK in this picture, is actually 14k...this is just a bad picture for that. The one above is better, I think. If you look to the right of what looks like KK, do you see what looks like letters?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like j c f ...but i couldn't swear that those are actual letters...:sorry::sorry::sorry:

i need help, Bronwen, TraceyB and 3 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The "wood" in this case may be black "wood coral" from Hawaii.

12. Aquitaine

I’m just not sure either....they do look like ‘j c f’ with maybe a larger ‘w’ above them.....just not positive.....hopefully others will check in? @i need help ??

Bronwen, TraceyB, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. libbyloodle

I'll have to look that up. Naturally, new to me :rolleyes:
    Only thought I had was bamboo.

KSW, i need help, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ll reserve my guess, until we have a straight on photo, I’ve been fooled before. :joyful:

KSW, Bronwen, TraceyB and 3 others like this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

KSW, Bronwen, libbyloodle and 6 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Is it ever!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:
    This is the kind of jewellery my Madurese ancestors wore.:happy:
    Which means it is Indonesian, probably made on Java, possibly on Madura or even Bali. Those three island territories make up the general (East) Javanese influenced cultural area.

The 'wood' is akar bahar, coral from the Moluccas in Eastern Indonesia.
    Most akar bahar is black with the occasional brownish streak. The rarer types are creamy white or gold.
    Akar bahar is said to have medicinal and magical properties. Many people wear it to alleviate rheumatism, but also as a protection against black magic.
    The shape is a Naga, which in Indonesia is a mythical cross between a sea snake/sea serpent and a dragon. The Naga is also highly protective, and an important symbol of spirituality and identity.

It is a very traditional bangle, originally reserved for the aristocracy. They are still being made, but I don't know how much longer for. I expect akar bahar to be added to the protected list in the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

This is stunning and definitely looks like black coral. I was given a black coral bangle by a local on Lombok Island many years ago and it had a very similar look (without the gold)! Really stunning :happy:

KSW, Bronwen, libbyloodle and 5 others like this.
  18. libbyloodle

Any Jewelry...Thank You, thank you, thank you! I love this information. I had a feeling this bangle would represent something specific or there would be a story about it, but never imagined everything you mentioned. I love the symbolism, medicinal and magical properties, and that it was originally reserved for aristocracy, etc. Wish I could just keep it! It's actually kind of small though, too small for me even and I can usually fit my hand into any bangle. Not meant to be, I guess. Would you mind if I use your info in a listing?

Btw...the area where I thought I saw letters in the picture ~ I studied it today with loupe and cannot identify any letters. I actually went over entire thing and can't find signature.

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:(
    For delicate Indonesian hands I guess.... What is the diameter?
    Of course I wouldn't. Good luck!:)
    I have never seen one that was signed. Most Indonesian jewellery isn't.

20. libbyloodle

Tape measure around inside = 7.5" Sounds pretty normal. Maybe my hands have grown :eek: Measures 2.5" across @ inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted