Featured Chinese Or Japanese Porcelain Box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jul 27, 2019.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if this is Chinese or Japanese? Stands 1 1/4" tall, measures 3 1/2" across the base. Base is dry and unglazed. 5/8" deep

bbox1.JPG bbox2.JPG bbox3.JPG bbox4.JPG bbox5.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those "vignettes" are a typical motif in Japonisme, so IF it was not made in the western world, it could have been made in Japan. Since there are no marks at all, I would call a Japanese design and leave it at that.

3. kraftblue

Thank you!

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're welcome! BTW, the *might* be a Japanese "ink box." I have some myself. The ink used in Japanese calligraphy and art work is left in solid form (in the box) until time to add water and use it.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This fan collector says: Asian box with fan leaf in a random position anywhere on the box = Japan. That specific colour blue is also very Japanese.
    I agree with possibly a sumi (Japanese ink) box.
    And of course I love it.:happy:

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. kraftblue

Thank you Bakers and Any!

judy, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted