Chinese Porcelain Guan Gong Warrior Statues 21" H

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Jul 27, 2018.

1. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Can anyone help give me more info about what appears to be a Chinese Guan Yu Gong Warrior porcelain statue. I have two of them and each is 21 inches high. Are these modern, vintage or possibly older. I have included photos.

Attached Files:

2. kellaurm

This is the first

Attached Files:

3. kellaurm

Second

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they are very nice.
    I'll come down on the side of more recent manufacture .....
    We'll see what others say....

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  5. kellaurm

How recent do you think? Are these Guan Gong warriors?

Asian Fever and judy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Asian Fever or @Any Jewelry - maybe one of them can answer your question.

I think maybe the last 20-40 years. Not a brand new import, but not as old as the 1930s.

By the way it would help if you hit Full Image on a couple of the pictures. Not all of them as it takes too long to load. But the full body and the base could help someone id them for you.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes they both look like general Guan Yu to me. So two figurines of the same general, not warriors who served under him. They are recent, but very nice.
    Guan Yu is very important to Chinese people. In some Buddhist traditions he is a Boddhsattva, and in Taoism he is regarded as a deity.

Draft saved Draft deleted