Chinese? Porcelain Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NancyJean, Jul 24, 2021.

1. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

Hi All, I believe this teapot is Chinese...seems modern to me? Any thoughts on approximate age? No mark. Thanks again, very much appreciated!
    Nancy
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

A chocolate pot, really.

3. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

It's too tall for a teapot. I'd say it's a pitcher.
    I've been searching Chinese pitchers then Japanese pitchers and keep getting linked to baseball players. I'd try to identify the image.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Looks like scholars, maybe?

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

@Tahmoor girl Janet is right, it's a chocolate pot, so try searching for chocolate pot and you'll get rid of all those pesky baseball players.:rolleyes::joyful:

DizzyDaff, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  6. Tahmoor girl

Yes, it's a chocolate pot. Now we should try to match the scene and the shape of the lid and handle to find it's age. Chinese items are difficult because they didn't have a hallmarking system like the English

DizzyDaff and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Tahmoor girl

This is a Japanese Kutani-style chocolate/tea pot:
    kutani style chocteapot.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  8. Tahmoor girl

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    DizzyDaff and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If "pitcher" doesn't work, try "jug" (though that could lead to problems of a different sort).

DizzyDaff, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  10. NancyJean

NancyJean Member

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like I have a Japanese Kutani ware chocolate pot, age unknown (no mark hidden inside or among the images). Yes I also thought images were scholars...I've always associated scholars w/ Chinese pottery...I've looked at every Japanese chocolate pot image I can find & and not a single one with similar imagery...no idea why I become so obsessed with researching things Gotta say funny about the pitchers:):) Appreciate everyone's input!

11. Tahmoor girl

Try to find a similar picture on anything, (of men sitting reading, scholars, religious (They wouldn't have had a Bible in ancient religions). Perhaps it was made for a special group of people, and they thought there was no need to mark it.
    It's certainly a unique chocolate pot.

DizzyDaff likes this.
  12. Tahmoor girl

Draft saved Draft deleted