Chinese Pottery Porcelain Vase Marking Does it mean anything? Old new?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Nov 18, 2023.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

IMG_6023__1700331767_69319.jpg IMG_6025__1700331849_26098.jpg IMG_6026__1700331977_88143.jpg IMG_6020__1700332014_51528.jpg IMG_6021__1700332048_44969.jpg I do not know what to think of this vase. I do not know Chinese anything but the marking is different. Is this old? New? Worthless? I probably got at a thrift store some time ago as I do not remember getting it. It measures 12 inches tall and about 8 1/2 inches in diameter at the widest area. I do not know if this glaze finish was even used in the past.

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the base looks reasonably new...

judy, Boland and crowleys like this.
  3. alynnfin

Thank you Komokwa. Agree, the marking throws me off though. Still hoping someone recognizes something about it.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It all looks fairly new to me, but I love the softly muted color of it!!

judy likes this.
  5. alynnfin

Thank you.l It has been in one of my bedrooms as I decorated around those colors.

judy likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'd say fairly recent, too, but a lovely design and well-done. I dunno, but it's possible that the mark may be on gotheborg.com.

7. alynnfin

Thanks, I'll try it but since no one recognizes the pattern or glaze as something of value, I think it is just a pretty vase...unfortunately'

8. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Hi:

The seal on the bottom says that it was made in the time of the Yongzheng emperor (1722-35) of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912). However, as other forum members have said, it does not appear to be very old. You may already be aware that it is common for Chinese porcelain to have marks of past dynasties, usually not for reasons of deception but as a way of saying that the style is in imitation of porcelain of that era.

Greg

9. alynnfin

Thank you. I had no idea what it said. Yes I knew many newer vases or items had marks of past dynasties, but I always that it was to get higher selling prices, never thought that part of the reason was the style of the era. I will be excited to see other vases of that era. Thank you for your expertise.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted