Featured Chinese Red Coral Necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Alesia42, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!..this is a recent purchase via a Antique store....I purchased it because it looks like coral and it has the silver looking pendant with a scrolling vine type design on it.....at first I thought the metal might be silver, but there are no marks....I have no experience with coral...so I have no idea if this is actually coral or imitation....there is a vintage "S" hook clasp that looks a bit aged... if someone knows if this is coral or another type of stone...please feel free to share your thoughts...... rsz_006.jpg rsz_007.jpg rsz_1chinese_coral_necklacenot_sure_003.jpg rsz_chinese_coral_necklacenot_sure_004.jpg rsz_chinese_coral_necklacenot_sure_006.jpg

judy, KSW and Xristina like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The hook looks silver, but the red stuff doesn't resemble any coral I've ever seen.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve had one with those findings and the sliding centrepiece and it was silver. Sometimes there is a mark is on those S clasps.

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me. The blow-up of the back of the slide shows a texture that confirms the "stone" is 100% glass.

reader, kyratango, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

There's all different types and shades of genuine red coral beads. The S-hook clasp will give an idea of the age. I read that they were popular in the 50s and 60s.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Identifying coral isn’t only about the color, texture is the main clue from pics. These ones are undoubtedly glass:cyclops:
    Those S clasps are still made and used in Asia and India... :)

reader and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Please can you educate me? How can you tell tell the difference?

Draft saved Draft deleted