Featured Chinese saucers/plates. Age/makers?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Sep 30, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Picked these up for a buck or two a pop at a sale a while back. Guessing they are 80-150 years old or so? They almost look like they could be older but the marks are making me think not for some reason. Any help appreciated. 703FF458-3AE9-4C31-9F0B-C01623302DF1.jpeg 76C3B8E5-C465-4B26-845D-C61E5A43C339.jpeg 028B44DB-323A-40A3-8839-C21895D1A4B0.jpeg F7E6B1E4-E0F8-4A72-8F3A-E768E0C6A782.jpeg CB3D959B-ED8F-4C27-B88A-2E4977C745F3.jpeg 595BDDBD-AA98-4297-A23C-0BF3521D65DF.jpeg

elarnia, LauraGarnet02, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I know nothing about these. But I agree in general sense they look really quite old to me (definitely 100 plus)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Closer to 80 than 150, I suspect.

judy, Ce BCA and J Dagger like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Interesting, I have previously come across some red printed marks which were suspected of being late 19th/early 20th century, looks like these may fit with that. Maybe the issues caused by the 1st Sino/Japanese war may account for the quality of the bodies, as they do look earlier than the marks would suggest.

judy, J Dagger, Boland and 1 other person like this.
  5. Coldblooded36

Coldblooded36 Member

Looks like most of the Guangxu bowls/plates you see. I bet there's at least one person on this site who can tell for certain what that reign mark is on the last plate.

judy and J Dagger like this.
  6. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

I have been told that the orange look to the base rim is a sign of age in Chinese/Japanese pieces - try googling Famille Rose. Good buy anyway.

7. J Dagger

That was my issue exactly. Work quality looked potentially earlier (maybe not painting quality) but marks looked later.

Edit: some of the work quality in China prior to the suspected era was obviously some of the best ever done in the world. You know what I mean though.

judy likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% on it, but the character mark looks like 邵復興 造 (made by Shào Fùxīng), but is doesn't help as I can't find a reference for it. The round mark is far too unclear for me to make out.

9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

These circular marks are always mid 20th century onwards as far as I am aware.

judy, Bakersgma and J Dagger like this.
  10. J Dagger

Can’t go very wrong for less than $5 total.

11. J Dagger

Good to know. That would fit more in line with the estates offerings. My guess on marks was more 20’s-40’s but the pieces themselves looked a little earlier to me.

judy likes this.
  12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Yes, without the mark I would have thought earlier too.

judy likes this.
  13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Might try gotheborg.com to see if the marks are pictured. (Look under Chinese marks.) I'm with the others -- first half 20th c.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted