Chinese Silk Tapestry

Discussion in 'Art' started by Darrin Herrera, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hi I just picked up this framed silk Chinese tapestry for $20 and I am hoping someone can give me an indication if this is worth anything. It's really cool in my opinion and I may hold on to it but would like some opinions on it. It's 30"x18" I am guessing with the professional framing and it's apparent modern age I am thinking it's worth $100 but I am hoping I am wrong! Thanks!! IMG_6592.JPG IMG_6595.JPG IMG_6592.JPG IMG_6595.JPG IMG_6597.JPG IMG_6599.JPG IMG_6600.JPG IMG_6600 (1).JPG

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Darrin, it's a charming piece.

My thought is that the framed item is a not-uncommon Chinese embroidered wall hanging that someone has paid good money to have professionally framed. The embroideries themselves (unframed) tend to cost just a bit more than you paid for the framed piece, so if you like the framing & plan to hang on to it, you got yourself a nice deal.

In my opinion, even though modern professional framing tends to cost a small fortune, it never seems to add enough to the sales price of framed artwork on the secondary market.

Here's something (unframed) that I think is similar to yours:
    img0 (169).jpg
    better photos here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-...152159?hash=item3b00013f1f:g:NRgAAOSwXOhac49b

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Good find Sbsbc...!!!

judy, Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These are always charming, and the fact that it is already framed is a bonus, cost-wise.
    But I must say that the embroidery on the one in SBSVC's link is of better quality.
    This a link to an earlier thread has some more info:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/help-with-some-pretty-embroidery.17128/
    Lucille's point in that thread about the difference between older and more recent embroidery is important. Yours is more recent embroidery.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted