Featured Chinese silver bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jal, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jal

Jal Active Member

Hello,
    I recently bought this Chinese silver bracelet, which looks a bit old. It has a beautiful handmade decoration of a dragon and a phoenix.
    Can anyone tell me what year and area it was made from, or some other related information?

Thank you so much!!!

IMG_9865.JPG IMG_9866.JPG IMG_9868.JPG

stracci, judy and KSW like this.
  2. Jal

Jal Active Member

No one knows nothing of this chines silver bracelet? Is it from the exportation period? Made in HK?

:bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:

judy and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think it's an HK mark, but other than that....!

Figtree3, judy and KSW like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not an HK mark. It seems to be in the style of one of the Ethnic Minorities, but could be modernized.
    @JayBee , @Couch Potato Wannabe , can you read the mark? I realize it isn't very clear.
    Or my friend @Asian Fever , if you are lurking?:playful:

6. Jal

Jal Active Member

Yes Any Jewelry, it isn't very clear.
    I like the handwork and I test it to be sure that it is silver, But I would like to know more information of this item. At least, now I know that it is not made in HK.

Thanks.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Sadly no, the mark is just too hard to make out.

The imagery though is of the phoenix and dragon, both strong and positive symbols in Chinese mythology.

8. Jal

Jal Active Member

It's a pity that no one has more knowledge of this bracelet, because I'm intrigued.

Thanks.

KSW and judy like this.
  9. Couch Potato Wannabe

Can you supply a much closer and still in-focus photo of the makers mark? perhaps try several photos with the light coming in on it from different angles to contrast the deeper parts of the mark with the shallower parts, this may give a better result of the individual segments of the mark in question.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Will you be cleaning this? Perhaps the mark would be more visible if you do?

KSW likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It will be easier to do this against a light background. A white piece of paper is fine.

Lucille.b, KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Jal

Jal Active Member

I prefer don't change the original patina of the bracelet, but I,m going to take more pictures.

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Couch Potato Wannabe

I have no idea as to your photographic abilities, knowledge or equipment, so please take no offence if this next bit seems condescending.

On cameras and 'some' smart phones, the macro (close-up) photography mode of the camera is depicted by a flower icon, which looks similar to this image below.

When you take the photos in this macro mode, you can get much closer to the object and still achieve an in-focus picture. Using the flash 'can sometimes' helps produce better contrast in the photo, but this is not always the case, so perhaps try some with the flash/torch and some without it.

[​IMG]

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's understandable.........but....cleaning just around the punch mark on the inside of the bracelet may help us to see the mark and help you with your intrigue ....... and not hurt the outward dull silver look.:)

on silver...it's more tarnish....than patina !!;);)

15. Jal

Jal Active Member

ch.png chh.png
    Maybe help

16. Jal

Jal Active Member

Thanks for the advise, I didn't know it, is difficult take a good picture on small objects.

17. Jal

Jal Active Member

18. Couch Potato Wannabe

Well, I can see the image is upside down.

The top Character is 足 = Foot
    Me telling you that doesn't really tell you that much about what the two characters together would mean. The second character could radically change the translation of the two characters together.

Unfortunately, I still cannot make out for sure the character underneath it. Perhaps you might be able to try again with some additional photos and lighting changes. Either that or the stamped character simply may lack the clear distinct edges required for me to read them clearly.

All that said, I believe it could be 足镯 which simply translates as Anklet. In which case, this seems less like a maker mark and more of simply an indication of the intended purpose of the item... which seems a strange thing to do.

19. Any Jewelry

Just to make sure people won't wear it as a wrist bracelet.;)
    An anklet also points to one of the Minorities, their costumes and jewellery are very different from Han Chinese. And they love their silver.:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  20. Jal

Jal Active Member

Very interesting information. At first, I thought it would be a Chinese brand for silver, I didn’t think it would be that complicated
    I will try to take better photos in different lighting to see if we can find out.

Thank you so much!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted