Chinese Silverplate Zodiac Medal for Translation Help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Jun 12, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This was a painful lesson in my youth...well, about 40 years ago actually. Sold as Sterling, but is plated brass. Sigh...4.960 oz Troy; 154.3 grams. It's ~51.5mm X ~91.2mm X ~4.5mm.

The side with the boy and carp seems to show a fairly common theme, but the story escapes me. Perhaps the four characters vertically above his right shoulder will explain about him, his fish and his surroundings.

Then on the back side, 2 very different imprints are above & below the full zodiac circle...I hope I have guessed the orientation of each correctly in my pics. What either of them say about the material may be false...but knowing their individual meaning will make me quite content, if y'all can read them.

I remain delighted with the piece, and its art...having long since healed from the bruising my ignorance cost me in accepting brass for silver.

Thanks for looking!

fullsizeoutput_9524.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9523.jpeg fullsizeoutput_951e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9520.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9541.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9521.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The center elements - yin-yang and bars - are Korean. The central elements on the flag.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

The bars are called trigrams. I'm not deeply familiar with their origins, but the Chinese use them in pairs, called hexagrams, in divining a situation or answering a question.

The I-Ching, or Book of Changes, is a good place to begin your research about their place in Chinese history.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Year after year 連年有餘 and 餘 (remain), can't make out the small one and not sure on the stylised set of three. These are sometimes referred to as scroll weights, I have had a few, never found a solid silver one yet, a few plated examples and the rest were nickel silver or alpacca.

Figtree3, wlwhittier and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. wlwhittier

Thank you, BCA...Great help!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice! Looks like some wear on it, too. Do you display it?

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

Not very well...it's propped against another treasure on a bookshelf. I should do a bit better for it, admittedly. I'm glad you like it, Fig...Thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.