Chinese snuff bottle? Why does it look like this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Going by the shape and size, I assume this is a Chinese snuff bottle? I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but think it's about 3" or so tall.

I haven't a clue why the surface looks like this... what would have caused the texture and the little holes that look like bubbles that were burst with a pin?

Also, any thoughts on age and whether or not the bottle has any value?

Thanks!

snuffbottle-a.jpg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The texture is a result firing process. Either it was intentional, to create this effect (doubtful), or any number of problems could have contributed to the pinholing and bubbles.

Whole books have been devoted to glaze problems, and often there can be more than one reason. The glaze could have been made incorrectly for the clay body (a change in the glaze ingredients, or something omitted, for example), or the glaze may have been contaminated with dirt or dust, or the kiln may have been fired too hot, or too fast, or was improperly vented. But the short answer is, the potter did something wrong somewhere somewhere along the line.

Pat P, KingofThings and tie.dye.cat like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Taupou!

So I guess I should assume there's no value and the age is immaterial?

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Snuff bottle collectors my just find this unusual enough to have value....
    It does have a certain look to it.

judy, Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm, that would be nice. It certainly looks unique! It gives me the feeling of those items found in sunken ships that ended up with encrustations.

The black on one side made me wonder if it perhaps started to burn?

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a good candidate for an auction with a very low starting price....

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suspect that effect is intentional. It's a lava glaze, isn't it. I think you might have something there, and imagine there is a specific Chinese name for the treatment.

If it were an error, it wouldn't be so consistent.

judy and Pat P like this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

"Lava glaze" is a relatively recent development in terms of the history of ceramics. The look or effect could go back centuries, however, but then it was most likely a result of a bad firing or glaze defect. In the mid-1900s, especially in Germany, potters began to produce the effect intentionally, on decorative pottery, and the term "lava glaze" was coined to describe the look.

On functional pottery, the bubbly, pitted surface would be considered a defect. When the bubbles pop, it creates razor-sharp surface, something that wouldn't be desirable in a piece that had to be handled frequently, like on dinnerware, cups or mugs, or snuff bottles. Plus the pits and craters make it difficult to clean, and if it's on the inside of a pot, presents the possibility of tiny chips of the glaze flaking off and being ingested.

It does have an attractive look and appeal, but a responsible potter wouldn't use a lava glaze on functional pieces, so I doubt if it was intentional in this case.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

How does this sound for a title... "Ceramic Snuff Bottle, Firing Error w/ Bubbles & Pits, Brown"?

If there are others out there like this, I haven't been able to find them in Google.

judy likes this.
  10. komokwa

ox blood is more interesting than ...brown...

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

True. I can just picture the bots giving me an error saying you can't sell blood on eBay! :rolleyes::cool:

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

Spell it Blud........hehehe!!!

judy likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Isn't oxblood one word?

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Why, yes it is! :)

15. komokwa

Well it is now........

Ooops....my bad !

judy likes this.
  16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I think it would be good to put emphasis on the texture of the glaze, and how unusual it is on a snuff bottle. Sometimes that's what pottery collectors are looking for, the imperfections that are an indication of the human element involved in handmade items. It's certainly true that comparatively few survive, since most functional potters discarded their "mistakes."

I wouldn't use "oxblood," since that is a specific type of high-fire glaze, that produces a glossy red (sometimes with hints of purple) over a white clay body. Collectors searching for "oxblood" would be disappointed if this showed up in their search. Something more on the line of "earthy rust colors" would probably be more likely to attract the right bidders.

Pat P likes this.
  17. komokwa

I got to the bottom of the coffee cup & had forgot to stir it well so the last few sips were mostly honey.......

so i guess i forgot to put the ox and blood together in the midst of a minor sugar rush !!!

& now....OH.....?????

I mistakenly thought that Oxblood ....was just a color !

Thank you Taupou for straightening that out ......s I wouldn't want to be the reason for an improper listing & have Pat mad at me !!

judy likes this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Taupou, thanks so much for the suggestions!

Would you call this bottle "pottery" or the more-inclusive term of "ceramic"?

judy likes this.
  19. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Technically, it's both, and either would be correct, but I'd personally refer to it as pottery. Ceramic tends to have a more "refined" image or connotation.

judy likes this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Taupou... sounds good. :) That's how I usually use the two terms, too.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted