Featured Chinese Teapot That I Previously Did Not Win Sold For 3.5 M.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 14, 2017.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2016/important-chinese-art-n09541/lot.261.html

I have completely forgot about this teapot that I bid on but today I saw another of the bidders and he told me the news.
    It was few years ago, an estate sale auction. I went there without knowing what it was all about and had very little time to look around before the auction started.
    A lot of Asian pieces and much more. I saw the teapot, believe it or not, in a box lot with other not that good but still nice Chinese porcelain. No special care taken at all. It could have been easily dropped or damaged by the guests. I had an idea that it may be something special as the quality was superb but no time for deeper research.
    I bid on few other cheaper pieces before the teapot came for sale. Then the war began and I gave up at $1900 or something. Only few of us bidding at the end and the Asian woman won it. Can't remember for how much but I think less than 3k.
    I was a bit disappointed but at the same time did not want to spend a lot of money on something I was not sure about. Plus, I did not have the money but was ready to use CC's.
    A bit later I found out that the winner, who by the way came from another state as there was an online preview I had no idea of, was running out of money as well so there could have been a chance to get it if I kept bidding.
    Obviously, Sothebys underestimated too as they gave $300-500k estimate.
    Well, that's how the Destiny decided :)

Figtree3, Ghopper1924, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow! What an interesting story and a very nice piece.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a story!

Article says the teapot came from the "Collection of Mrs. Murrell R. Werth (1923-2014)".

Was the estate sale from the Werth estate or did Mrs Werth somehow get it from the Asian woman who outbid you? Are you absolutely sure this is the same teapot?

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow is right! At least it wasn't a piece you owned and sold for a couple of $100 or so:)

5. kardinalisimo

The auction was at the estate. She bought it from there and then sold at Sothebys.

Lucille.b, Ghopper1924, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Sounds like the same pot.

I'm impressed you knew to go $1,900 at least.

Who would have guessed. Sounds like even Sothebys missed the mark.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful teapot!!!

The scene on the side reminds me of this plaque I sold a few years back.

[​IMG]

It is hard to see in this photo but it was smooth for the most part however the rock & brick wall actually had a raised texture to them. I was told that the number of figures in these plaques were very important. I sold this one to someone in China for $3383.00 back in 2012.

If anyone ever paid 7 figures for it I hope I never find out because I really think it would literally kill me. :p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::jawdrop::jawdrop::eek::eek::banghead::banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

8. kardinalisimo

Well, that was 2 years ago and my knowledge in Chinese porcelain was not that good but still the quality was remarkable. Actually, I did know that very similar pots were sold for about 200-300k but I have seen only pictures and never handled one. Nobody from the bidders was sure.
    If I have seen the same pot recently at local auction, even without knowing for how much the previous one was sold, I would have bid more.

Bercrystal, I think you did good for 2012. The plaque's value might be more now but I doubt it would fetch many figures. The teapot has the imperial Qianlong mark and don't forget the calligraphy, a very important thing for old pieces.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Peggy I remember that tile, what a great find that was:)
    Kard what blows me away is something that was worth that much money was just sitting in a box and as you said 'could have been damaged'. I've never seen anything near that amount of money - wonder what it would have sold for on eBay?

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Great story, and good on you for having the discernment to go as high as you did. Truly, "the one that got away."

James Conrad, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Cool story!

Donstoys, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

zOMG.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Houseful and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted