Featured Chinese vase, auction win, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, Apr 22, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Appreciate opinions: I just won this at auction. Not a lot of bidders. This is the only photo they had up. I’m thinking possible early to mid 20th but high end(trying to keep my expectations down). Of course there is always that hope for better. The discoloration inside is foreign to me with this. Will pick up locally in a day or two.

So my question, is this vase familiar to anyone, dragons, shape, date… etc…
    I will post better images here when I have in hand if warranted. Approx 26”H

Thank you.

IMG_3357.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Figtree3, J Dagger, verybrad and 9 others like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I agree with 20th c somewhere; earlier 20th c I think, but I stand to be corrected. That's a big 'un so worth something just in decorative value, but fingers crossed for better!

3. mmarco102

Thanks for looking :D Will pick up at Sunny Isles Beach 30th floor ocean front condo. :) The auction was listed as a “High End Furniture and Fixture Sale” and this was but a few very different items that were neither. So my blood Presure is rising. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

https://www.estatesales.net/FL/Sunny-Isles-Beach/33160/4021920

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  4. mmarco102

I’m excited to have found a piece like mine, all be it without the handles. ;)

IMG_3365.jpeg

:hilarious:

Boland, kentworld, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this has good potential. Quality certainly is there. I think better than the other one you found. Better than 99% of the Chinese ceramics that I see out in the wild.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Figtree3, mmarco102 and kentworld like this.
  6. mmarco102

Thanks @verybrad, I appear to have called it right as a (real late)19th-early 20th. 27”H Picked it up a few hours ago. WOW, an amazing piece. When I arrived at the high rise, was told to hit 3001 in elevator, when the doors opened I was looking at 10ft high 40 ft long window of the ocean. Breath taken view. Anyways it is marked on the base and the stand with United Wilson 1897(year business started in Hong Kong. Only in business about 38 years from what I could find out.

The other one I posted here was for fun, it is horrific to say the least, IMG_4574.jpeg IMG_4590.jpg

7. mmarco102

Just saw on both sides of neck and body, there is a dragon(blue body) and two phoenixes to the side.

IMG_3401.jpeg IMG_3403.png

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

A very attractive and impressive looking vase. Nice buy!

mmarco102 likes this.
  9. mmarco102

love it and finding out more than I care to know. :blackeye:

Boland likes this.
  10. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think it’s late 20th century. United Wilson started adding ormolu in the 1990s. IMG_1927.png

11. mmarco102

Thanks John. Hence my black eye in previous post. :hilarious: New to the word “ormolu” and wondering if the handles are made in this technique? They didn’t look like raw metal. For that, the stand looks like the handles too. Something I have to dig more into. Even vintage, it still one of the most impressive pieces in my home. UW does seem to make a lot of junk. I just am not seeing it here, so I do remain very pleased. :)

Boland likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

But it seems you got it for a great or bargain price. So it’s all still good.

mmarco102 likes this.
  13. mmarco102

About the cost of an afternoon lunch for Lillei & I on the intercostal waterway ;). I just have to stop shopping for that chalet on the French Riviera for now.:hilarious:

Remember, today’s youth is not interested in grandma’s antiques. They want vintage ;) :hilarious:

it’s beautiful, I emailed the company for any information they can share.

14. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Oh nooooo. The dreaded 1897 mark.

mmarco102 likes this.
  15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

So what are the handles made of? Metal or gilt ceramic/porcelain? The base? I was on the side of late 20th from the start. Always hope I’m wrong in these instances. It’s very handsome and I think a lot of people would enjoy having it even if it’s not very old. The colors aren’t as offensive as a lot of newer famille rose/rose medallion.

Figtree3, Potteryplease and mmarco102 like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It has the overall crazing that is a sign -- to the best of my knowledge -- of a recent-ish Chinese import.

Debora

komokwa and mmarco102 like this.
  17. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Hell no lol vase is modern. If I was you buy it cheap & take the fittings use it for a real antique vase

mmarco102 likes this.
  18. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Can I ask, what's the dreaded 1897 mark?

Thanks!

komokwa and mmarco102 like this.
  19. mmarco102

They are both metal.

It’s obvious that UW has a lot of small stuff out there with little to no value and rightly so to look at it. That aside they have some real amazing items too. True this baluster vase isn’t antique, a lot of items posted out here are not. But the photo’s do not give it justice. It is massive and high end quality when compared to UW’s mass marketed stuff(…and a ton of garbage on eBay these days). Adding a photo next to a 1960 full bottle of cognac(dated 1819, but it’s not ;) ) for perspective in size and a few links with that overall crazing to UW’s better quality line of products this vase fits into.

https://www.chairish.com/product/74...in-bronze-ormolu-parrot-candle-holders-a-pair

https://www.chairish.com/product/15...rmolu-and-crackle-porcelain-lamps-signed-pair

https://www.unitedwilson.com/ormolu

IMG_4585.jpeg

J Dagger, Lavrentii and Chinoiserie like this.
  20. mmarco102

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Now that’s funny. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Jose Deleon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted