Featured Chinese Water Buffalo carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jannie Groenewald, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Jannie Groenewald

Jannie Groenewald Active Member

Good Evening
    I found this on a local boot sale market today. It seems to be a water buffalo carved out of some type of horn. I think buffalo horn but not certain it contains that much solid horn for this size carving.
    Any information will be welcome.

Jannie

20240414_210931.jpg 20240414_210940.jpg 20240414_210934.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice little critter.......could be horn, but kinda looks like hardwood from the pics...

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like wood to me too.

4. Jannie Groenewald

Jannie Groenewald Active Member

Good morning
    It is definitely horn and not wood. I had to put some wax on it as it was very dry and cracked. Here is a less waxed picture. 20240414_134140.jpg

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, buffalo horn, and Chinese or SE Asian. Datewise early-mid 20th century imo.

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The pointed end of a horn is solid, and could provide a large enough piece if it was a large horn. The cone-within-a-cone pattern visible on the base and on the side indicates that the carving is oriented with the butt of the animal toward the tip of the original horn.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted