Featured Chinese Yixing Zisha Clay Pot Legit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sara Brady, May 2, 2024.

1. Sara Brady

Sara Brady Active Member

Hello, I got this Chinese tea pot last week… I used Google Lens on it and found some similar tea pots at some high prices, but I want to make sure what I have is the real deal. The mark on the bottom isn’t the clearest, but I did my best to get a decent picture of it.
    I greatly appreciate any info and help I can get. TIA!!

IMG_8424.jpeg
    IMG_8425.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

All the zisha tea pots I found so far have a seal with text, while this one has an image? (to me looking like an Aztec priest/king/god with a disc, and in front of him a two-tailed snake (with feathered tails?), and water :D)

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful teapot, Sara.
    I don't know what you mean by legit? I am not aware of teapot fakes, whether Yixing/Zisha or otherwise.
    I see a dragon with the obligatory pearl of wisdom, and indeed water.

This Yixing teapot is a similar model to yours, only without the glaze and with incised decoration, and it has feet. It also has a dragon mark, but unfortunately they don't show it:

AYixing.jpeg
    https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5923534

Sara Brady and Marote like this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

komokwa and Marote like this.
  7. Sara Brady

Sara Brady Active Member

Thank you so much for the information. I wasn’t sure if there were fakes out there, that’s why I figured I would ask, just to make sure.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Aren't Yixing wares still being made today?

9. Any Jewelry

Yes, they are.

kentworld likes this.
  10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Aren't Yixing wares still being made today?
    Yes,
    I have found the value of Yixing pot is not always about how old it is, but who made it, handmade vs molded and if it embodies "artistry" for lack of a better word...

kentworld, Bakersgma and Sara Brady like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

And the "Yixing teapot line". In the perfect Yixing teapot the tops of the spout - pot - handle have to be in a perfect horizontal line. You can test this by putting a ruler on top of the teapot.

Draft saved Draft deleted