Chris and the UW 1897 mark.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jul 21, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I dont know if this is at all interesting or already well known. But I noticed this piece at a sale the other day and it would seem to validate Chris's opinion on the PMM site that this mark and related marks are recent knockoffs. he apparently got into quite a debate about this at one pt. So maybe this piece might shed some light. The use of the food safety label would seem to be a dead giveaway these are recent. LInks to Chris's discussion of this:

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/misrepresented-groups/uw1897/index.php

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/resources/misrepresented-groups/wl1895/index.php

86246227_947EB6E97462472BB3907B977D998C28.jpeg 94818760_31A4C782C4CA4A2B948CA23C23E41D16.jpeg

Ce BCA and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Modern pieces - the food use warning really is a dead giveaway.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Even without any marks or labels those look pretty new. Not sure if they were going to fool people for long.

Figtree3, johnnycb09, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

yeah I may be overstating things It seems the real controversy was over the WL 1895 mark, which seems to all be part of the same thing.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of those years ago before there was anything about them on the internet. I thought they were newish from the looks but to be fair they were well made and attractive, and the cost was ridiculously low considering they were gilt brass with the ceramic. I haven't seen any for years locally now.

Draft saved Draft deleted