Featured Christmas Help: ID Flow Blue pattern

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lelliott19, Dec 15, 2020.

1. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

upload_2020-12-15_21-24-29.png
    A friend of mine lives in an historic South Carolina home, built between 1819 and 1840. It is built upon large rough hand-hewn timbers, pegged together with the biggest hand made pegs I've ever seen in a house. One of the sons of the family that built the house was an artist. Not a famous artist, but an interesting one.

I am connected to the artist; my friend is connected to the house. When I last visited, I was given an opportunity to choose a relic, dug from the property. I chose this shard of flow blue, presumably from a cup (?) that was dug from the area of the original summer kitchen.

Since my friend was kind enough to give me the relic, I'd like to find a cup and saucer of the same pattern and send it to him for Christmas. But before I can do that, I need help to identify the maker and the pattern. Do any of the experts here recognize this pattern? Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
    Outside edited.jpg Inside edited.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Way cool. Sorry no help.

lelliott19 likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Any marks on the remaining base?

KikoBlueEyes and lelliott19 like this.
  4. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

Thanks for your reply and your willingness to help. No, there is only a rim of the base left and there is no mark or other identifying characteristic on it.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

(Every time I go searching for something like this I end up wanting to buy something.)

6. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I don't think that this is it, but it French Limoges by Alexandre Chastagner. If you go searching you might find what you seek. If you wanted these, I have a set of six.
    Unfortunately the raised pattern doesn't show well. I could have another go under different lighting if you would like.

cups antique.jpg

Mark Antique.jpg

judy likes this.
  7. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

Blue Flow China started around 1830 at the Davenport Factory in Longport, England. As I believe your shard is, most were produced in ironstone (following those initially made in “pearl” stone). This piece was in the “Floral” (duh) category; the other categories include Scenic - or ‘Romantic,’ Oriental, and Brushstroke. The edge you pointed out in your image is referred to as a “feather” edge. Note that the blurry quality is not atypical.

73DB2CC0-3865-4319-B14D-92CE75D1DAC4.jpeg
    For kicks, I ran your floral image against the 10 most desirable patterns (see image) and as a variety of repeatedly precise Google (etc.) searches without success. I’ll definitely keep this design in mind from now on. Good luck to you!

113ABC82-8C5A-42AC-95FA-FD1BC1B9104A.jpeg

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you have a reliable timeline, another piece from the same period would probably serve the purpose.

judy and pixieforpapa like this.
  9. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

I couldn’t agree more!

10. say_it_slowly

Not so sure flow blue was actually "started" at a specific factory.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I did look through my book of Flow Blue China by Gaston and while there are similar patterns, I can't say I found a match. It can be difficult to tell sometimes when the pattern is on a larger object so if no one comes up with an ID I might look again.

I also did a look through Replacements at some of their patterns, again, some close. Also looked a bit at some online sales. Hopefully someone will know it.

judy and lelliott19 like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

I took the liberty of rotating the pieces and lightening them so someone might see the pattern easier. Is that pattern along the rim just part of the print or is it actually ridged in the body?

I love your idea. I've been involved in archaeology (avocational) and have purchased whole examples based on sherds recovered at sites before too.

upload_2020-12-16_18-42-5.png

upload_2020-12-16_18-41-9.png

judy and lelliott19 like this.
  12. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

Thank you so much for your help! :happy: I've looked at patterns until I am about cross-eyed and really appreciate everyone who has taken a look to see if they can ID this one.

Yes the pattern along the rim where the blue is lighter is actually ridged in the body. There are also small raised swirls along the bottom, around what would have been the base of the cup. I took some more pictures in the hopes that you can make out the swirls.
    upload_2020-12-16_22-37-20.png
    Also, from this angle, you can see how the vinery extends down into a trail, like it does on the inside of the cup.

Just in case you can't see the raised swirls in the two images above, here's a close up of that detail.
    upload_2020-12-16_22-42-57.png
    And one more of the pattern on the inside, correctly oriented.
    upload_2020-12-16_22-43-51.png
    Thanks again to everyone who has taken a look and offered advice and suggestions. I sure hope someone can identify the pattern.

The idea of substituting another similar piece is a good one, but the same family owned the property from 1819 to at least 1905 -- so presumably the relic could be from any time in that 90 year span.

I know my friend was pretty attached to this particular relic even above others that he has found. Im guessing he was attracted to it for the same reason I was -- the possibility of identifying the pattern, finding out when it was manufactured, and making a physical connection with an item that the family used. So I'd really like to identify the actual pattern, if at all possible.

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    lelliott19, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

lelliott19 likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

lelliott19 and say_it_slowly like this.
  16. say_it_slowly

17. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

That certainly looks to be the pattern! Amazing and thank you so much @say_it_slowly Can you tell if that one has the inset band of ridges at the top rim? Did they ever put the same pattern on semi-porcelain and on ironstone? Im assuming the shard I have is ironstone?

Now I've just got to find the right piece for sale somewhere. If anyone sees any listed somewhere, please PM me. Many thanks @say_it_slowly :joyful:

say_it_slowly likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

I sent you a PM

lelliott19 likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

lelliott19 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

@pixieforpapa
    As this is not flow blue, can you tell me what it is so that I can change the description. In what way does it differ, ie process. Thanks very much.

120034174_3451187008260541_2545929885992477109_o.jpg

lelliott19 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted