Featured Circa 1850 silver presentation cup by Adolph Himmel?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by NaptownFTW, Feb 25, 2019.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

I came across this piece last year, but am not 100% on the attribution and don't have a good handle on the value.
    It is a coin silver cup stamped Hyde & Goodr(ich) on the bottom. The silver shows signs of an abrasive cleaning and the engraving is a bit weak. Stylistically, it seems to match the work of Adolphe Himmel, with excellent repoussé work.
    The names on it have a pretty crazy story behind them. The inscription reads
    To the Hon Jos B Lancaster
    A token of gratitude for generous hospitality and practical friendship
    T Pickett
    T O'Hara
    T T Hawkins >Ky
    T J Kennedy
    A H Johnson
    A H Bell Miss

Joseph B Lancaster was a judge on the first Florida territorial court and is a fairly well known politician from that time.
    The other names are officers and a physician from the time a group of southerners got together with a guy named Narciso Lopez to invade Cuba in 1850. This Cardenas expedition won a battle in Cuba, a Kentuckian planted what is now the
    Cuban flag for the first time on Cuban soil, and then they high-tailed it to Florida because several thousand Spanish troops were coming to kill them.
    Anyway, the big name on there is Theodore O'Hara. He fought in the Mexican American war, where he penned a poem, Bivouac of the Dead, lines of which are on Arlington National Cemetery. He was a captain in the US Army until court marshaled by Robert E Lee in 1856. During the Civil War, he was a Confederate colonel and representative to Mexico.
    I know this is quite a bit to read, but any help is greatly appreciated.

1FB914BE-EA1D-4092-B7C3-259551679179.jpeg E5E64825-7883-4027-AF16-5E2AB3C25D6D.jpeg E26138AD-371A-42C6-BB52-35EFEE4C0B00.jpeg

Figtree3, cxgirl, quirkygirl and 5 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very interesting piece and interesting story!

You no doubt already know that Hyde and Goodrich were primarily retailers and importers. But I'm going to post this link so others will have the chance to learn about them

https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Silversmiths/SSH12.html

Who is the Adolf Himmel you mentioned?

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I fear one of those things that would never bring as high a bid as it should

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Adolphe Himmel was a German born silversmith who worked in New Orleans in the 1850s. I poked around a little and found he moved there in 1852, so if the piece is made by him, it would be after that. Given that the governor of Louisiana was involved in the invasion (he charged and had three trials end in hung juries), the New Orleans connection makes sense.

More info on him and a sometime partner:
    https://decorativeartstrust.org/chasing-southern-dreams-two-german-silversmiths-in-new-orleans/

cxgirl, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  6. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Naptown.
    A very interesting piece with a great background, thank you for showing us.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Naptown!! Fascinating piece and history to go with it!!!! Thank you for bringing it to our attention!!

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This page about Hyde & Goodrich says that "The firm employed silversmiths and watchmakers, including German craftsmen Christoph Christian Küchler and Adolphe Himmel, to make and repair goods for their customers." And includes an image of an article made by Himmel. https://www.hnoc.org/virtual/goods-every-description/hyde-goodrich

Just FYI --

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted