Featured Cleaning Antique Wood Items

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Christopher, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

I came across this antique bucket and an trying to figure out how to clean off, what appears to be caked on mud without affecting the patina. Will 0000 steel wool affect it that severely? I've heard you can use this on old wood but would like some verification . Thanks
    20171105_121136-1605x2044.jpg 20171105_125643-1494x2656.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice bucket...I've not seen the like of it !
    There are many ways to clean wood.....or gunk off it.....depending on how much patina you want left.

I'm sure you'll get several opinions here...:)

3. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Personally I would leave it alone, it's a beautiful piece just the way it is! If your concerned about getting some dirt into your house, maybe take a brush to it, not a wire brush. Just a good strong vegetable brush but be extremely careful. One wrong move and you could ruin the potential profit, not to mention the look, that it now has!

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

For removing grime and general dust and grit, a damp, soft cloth or brush will do.

5. Christopher

I think my best bet may be to just learn to live with it. The mud has been on there so long it's almost like concrete. I couldn't even pick it off with my fingernail. I'm also concerned that, depending on how long it's been on there, if I do remove it the wood underneath with not have the same patination as the exposed wood and I'll be left with light spots all over it. But thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciated as always.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:):):)

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Are you talking about those areas that appear to be encrusted? I would see no harm in scraping them off with a wood or plastic scraper. Once off, you could wash with mild soap and water with out doing harm. Just would not want to completely soak it. A coat of paste wax afterward would complete the process once completely dry.

I suppose that there is some danger of this but those spots already look different than the rest. I don't see how removing encrusted mud can do anything but improve the piece. Mud is not patina IMHO.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I agree! They have soap made for wood objects like Murphy Oil Soap that will not damage the wood. Scrape the crud off, clean and then wax with a good quality wax like Briwax & you are all done!

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  9. BU66

BU66 Active Member

WOW that looks nice!! An old water well bucket I assume?

KingofThings, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  10. Christopher

I found out it is Chinese. The design is pretty ingenious actually. Apparently, it was made to automatically tip over into the water when it hit the bottom of the well. I was also told that the gaps between the wood were intentional because as it becomes saturated the wood expands and it becomes water tight.

Figtree3, aaroncab, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  11. BU66

BU66 Active Member

Wow, gives a whole new meaning to "made in china"

12. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

There's no mark "Made in China" :couchpotato:

13. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Oh, Lord. Never seen this shape of bucket in China.
    In my opinion, it is not a chinese bucket, since this bucket is obviously used for getting water from a well. However, all chinese well buckets are flat bottom.

komokwa, James Conrad and Bakersgma like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-11-14_12-40-15.jpeg

upload_2017-11-14_12-42-53.jpeg

upload_2017-11-14_12-43-59.jpeg

Hand crafted in Asia around 1900, an ash hardwood well water bucket has a yoke and wrought iron mounts. Interesting for it could also be useful in a well. This barrel like antique pail would become water tight when the wood expanded when wet. The yoke kept the bucket steady when raised with a rope.

Sold $475...........

upload_2017-11-14_12-45-46.jpeg

So....I'm think I'm getting close here to some kind of understanding....YES YES...I know the OP only asked about how to clean his......BUT,,,,
    Then I fell on this.....

upload_2017-11-14_12-59-45.jpeg

Museum Quality

Genuine Old English Oak Water Well Bucket

c.1800

Oak coopered and bound with hand forged Iron Strapping

Originated from Rye in East Sussex

Genuine antique and important historical artifact

245 pounds...( asking)

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted