Cleaning cameo ???

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dreamin_Sqaw, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

IMG_20180106_183931.jpg

IMG_20180106_183756.jpg
    I need to clean this cameo. I was told toothpaste and a soft brush. Can anyone confirm this ? Its JHP signed piece which I can't seem to find anymore of so I don't want to destroy .
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sit tight...help is on the way.....:happy:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I would not use toothpaste, but the soft brush sounds fine. I've mostly used just water but I think very mild soap is ok for a shell cameo. Wait for @Bronwen and others, though. I'm always learning new things.

The reason I would not use toothpaste is that most toothpastes have abrasives in them. That would probably be ok for the metal but not for the cameo itself, IMO.

Christmasjoy, plaid423, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You need to take sharper close ups of your items. Crop your picture with less background.
    This is too small to see.
    upload_2018-1-6_19-46-59.png

It could be stone instead of shell, can't see it well enough to know.

I would get some Dawn detergent, (original blue).
    Soapy water won't hurt it. You're going to wash it and rinse it well. It's not going to soak in the soapy water for any length of time. At least it shouldn't.

5. clutteredcloset49

Pardon me if you think this is rude, but I can't help noticing your cracked cuticle.

Get some O'Keefe's Working Hands. Distributed by Gorilla Glue. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Use at night before bed. Those cracks will heal in a couple of days.
    upload_2018-1-6_19-54-52.png

Christmasjoy, plaid423, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:happy::playful::playful:

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

OMG, Cluttered! I hate to say it, but I immediately noticed the problem, too - and I also suffer from it! Thanks for the recommendation - I'm going to try that stuff!

8. clutteredcloset49

I have been selling it for the last 4 years. Absolutely the best.
    Again use it at night before going to bed.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cluttered, I wish I'd known! Just based on what you said earlier, I already went ahead & ordered some!

10. clutteredcloset49

Not to worry.
    I wasn't trying to make a sale.

I just wanted to offer a solution to a problem.
    You can use it on your feet as well. Although they make another product called Healthy Feet, which has more glycerine in it and works faster on the tough skin of heels.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  11. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

Shoot no dear . Don't think it's rude at all. My hands are in water more than a goldfish is it feels like. Private home nurse and also do painting when my patient list is low.this cold weather and wind ain't helping either. I'd had that before a it is great.as well as " utterly smooth" lotion . I'm usually late at taking care of myself sometimes . To busy taking care of everyone seems . Lol. You're a sweetie thanks

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Aw, Dreamin, you've GOT to take care of YOU, or you'll be of less help to THEM!
    Being a private home nurse has to be one of the hardest things out there! My hat's off to you (yes, even in all this COLD!)

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You crack me up sometimes.:hilarious::hilarious::happy:

14. JWD

JWD Member

Agate with shell? Cannot see well. If so, lukewarm water and cotton bud for heavier gunk. Dab dry :happy:

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Still small, but maybe this helps:
    upload_2018-1-7_10-30-13.jpeg
    Could be shell, but Bronwen will probably be able to tell.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spit on a cotton bud.

As to paws, can you guys get Soap and Glory Hand Food? It's the best paw softener and healer I've ever used. Says the gardener.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think it's more likely to be shell, but that's only because I've never seen a tiny stickpin stone cameo that had that much detail carved into it. I have seen shell ones that do. But my experience with the stone stickpin cameos is limited. (I own just one of them, and I think it was actually a button converted to a stickpin.) I would like to see more thoughts on this one, though.

Anyway, for cleaning purposes I think the suggestions above would be safe, no matter which it is.

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have cleaned mine gently with Dawn dishwashing liquid and the small brush that comes with liquid jewelry cleaners. After I let it dry, I dab a small amount of mineral oil on the front and back and gently, and thoroughly, wipe it off completely with a soft cotton dish towel. The tend to dry out after cleaning.....

19. clutteredcloset49

I'm glad. Laughter is the best thing for a healthy life! :)

20. clutteredcloset49

Have never heard of it before.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted