Featured Cleaning glass, porcelain, etc.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pat P, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Is it safe to use rubbing alcohol to clean EAPG pieces (straight or diluted)? Or diluted vinegar? They don't have any decoration, just plain glass.

Also, with pieces that have gilt and/or hand-painting, like porcelain cups and plates, could alcohol or vinegar cause damage?

I'm setting up a new photography area in my basement, which doesn't have a sink, and most of these pieces are there. I'd love to be able to clean them right there in the basement before taking photos.

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Pat, I use rubbing alcohol to clean out the inside of glass pieces that I can't put my hand inside to dry (decanters and vases), just swish around and it drys with no spots. You can dilute it with water and use to clean mirrors and windows:)
    I don't know about using it with gilt or painted pieces though - someone will be along that will know if safe or not.

pearlsnblume, judy, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, CX. I have a lot of EAPG, so that's good news! :)

Some pieces I washed in the past so they shouldn't need much cleaning. But others still have gunk from my mother's smoking and they really need help. :(

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Smoke can be removed just by using alcohol.
    Having grown up in smoke filled rooms, I used a lot of alcohol in cleaning mirrors and such as my insides.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Thanks for the additional good news, Greg!

Alcohol it will be....

kyratango likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that when these gilded and painted pieces were made, the cleansing agents used were pretty harsh. Vinegar is highly unlikely to cause damage.

On the glass, I'd use hot water and denture tablets, then a brush with an old nail brush, finish with a wash in washing up liquid. China, leave soak in washing up lquid in hot water.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bear. Good point about the harshness of cleaners in those days.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Most welcome. I've known people put antique Chinese in the dishwasher, even, although I'd not risk gilded or handpainted.

Pat P likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yikes, I wouldn't put anything antique in my dishwasher. :jawdrop:

Draft saved Draft deleted