Featured Cleaning Lave Cameos

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Detectiveshorty, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Can someone tell me the best method to clean a lava cameo. (One has silver around it , one has gold.) Im new to cameos but I LOVE them and want to take the best care of them i can. TIA
    :)

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

The best way to clean them is to put them, well protected, inside an envelope, close the envelope, write my name and address on the envelope, put stamps on the envelope, and drop the envelope off at the post office :wacky:
    Or...
    you can wait for an alternative solution from the people komo tagged

4. komokwa

Gee, @Marote ...yer fitting right in here , aren't ya !!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

:D

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Detectiveshorty. Komo is right, we need to see the items in question. Lava is difficult/risky to clean because it is porous &, as often as not, dyed. Let's see what we're up against before making recommendations. Photos have to be under 1MB. @komokwa is very good at giving guidance on how to reduce overlarge files.

7. komokwa

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

CAMEO TAX (ie photos) REQUIRED. :D

If you love cameos, you're gonna love the 300+ page thread @Bronwen started here. It's the best education you can get on the net.

9. komokwa

& with her Lieutenants , Mira and Pepper ... that thread never disappoints !!!!:kiss:

10. Bronwen

:kiss::kiss:

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, @Detectiveshorty , looking forward to your treasures.
    What did you expect, Marote is Dutch.:smuggrin::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::kiss:

12. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

No need to insult me! Born, raised and living in the Netherlands, but not Dutch!! ;)
    But to fit in, I had to adopt some Dutch manners :D

13. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    You may not be genetic Dutch, but then who is? I am not, at least not 100%. I am a mix of 16 nationalities last time I counted, but I am Dutch, it says so in my passport.;)

On the other hand, you are what you identify with. But do you identify with Portugal?
    Personally I identify with Brabant, not the Netherlands.:smug: And I mean all of Brabant, so also Antwerp and Brussels etc.
    Very wise.:pompous:
    I do the same, but people keep asking me where I'm from.:rolleyes:

14. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I am Portuguese, it says so in my passport :happy:
    I'm best of both worlds :D

15. Any Jewelry

Ah, didn't know that.
    ;)
    I guess I will have to be the best of 16 worlds, plus Australia, where I spent part of my childhood.:confused:
    Or have an extreme case of split personality disorder.:nurse::dead::joyful:

16. Bronwen

Detectiveshorty, this is what happens when you don't give us something to focus on. Although, to be honest, it frequently happens anyway.

17. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I'm the intermission act, while we wait for the main event to continue.
    Please post the pics @Detectiveshorty to put an end to this nonsense (and I'm running out of material to keep the rest entertained)

18. komokwa

That can be easily rectified........but I have to go out now......maybe upon my return the OP will have posted a Lave or two, for us to discuss !!:yawn::yawn:

19. Bronwen

At least spell check did not change it to Larva, as sometimes happens.

20. Any Jewelry

Unfortunately I can imagine what a larva cameo would look like.
    Now where is our bug lady?:joyful:
    Surely not? I had such high expectations of you.:(

Draft saved Draft deleted