Cleaning question

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Crystalina, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I have read numerous different way to clean Pewter, Brass and Aluminum vases and serving ware. I don't which one is right for each type of metal and don't want to do harm my pieces. Can you please give me the benefit of your experience please? I would be so grateful. Thank you!

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Brassware - I've always used Brasso. If Brasso alone won't do it, then try adding a bit of umph to it with some 0000-grade (polishing-grade) steel-wool, to lift the heaviest tarnishing.

judy likes this.
  3. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I will get some. Thank you so much!

4. Peachy Keen

Peachy Keen New Member

I also have various kinds of metals to clean and while I may use a metal specific cleaner - like for silver or brass - I will then use "Midas Touch Metal Polishing Cream" to get any additional tarnish off and also to get rid of metal "pits", even on silver! Won't do miracles with pits but definitely helps. I think it performs miracles on other metals I thought would never be clean again! Ordered a small container first and was so happy with it I ordered a large size from Amazon.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brass I've used lemon and salt. I've also used Never Dull cotton wadding.
    Pewter just soap and water, not really supposed to be polished to a shine.

6. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thank you everyone for your help!