cleaning silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by pjc, Feb 2, 2017.

1. pjc

pjc New Member

Hi all i am Pete, I have just had a few silver items given to me. Some old English items and a few from the early 1930s from Japan. Whats the best way to clean them?

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I'm old-fashioned, I use silver-foam, but a lot of people swear by that aluminium thing with the hot water and the baking-soda or whatever it is. Look it up on YouTube.

pjc likes this.
  3. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I use a pot of dip I get from the jeweller, It saves rubbing the item because with every rub you take off a minute layer of the silver, I finish with Goddard's silver polish.

Where it isn't possible to immerse the item I just use the Goddard's or Silvo wadding.

pjc likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

These are all methods I have used, all benefit from a finish with a silver cloth, in my opinion. I use the hot water, aluminium and washing soda mainly for any silverplate pieces where I do not want to spend much time on them.

The good news is that with the virtual abolition of coal fires in homes, the amount of sulfur compounds in the air has dropped dramatically, and they are the main culprits with tatnished silver, so one good clean should last a long time, weekly attention from the butler has gone the way of butlers.

Aquitaine and pjc like this.
  5. pjc

pjc New Member

Thanks guys I will look into it. A complete novice here.

6. pjc

pjc New Member

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

serafino likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I did not read all of Cheryl's link, but it appears to be a good one.

DO NOT use the aluminum soak. It is not good for antique silver. It is a type of reverse electrolysis and takes a layer of silver off.

Old silver plate can sometimes be polished off.

There are different methods for different items.
    Creams or liquids followed by a sudsy wash are your best.
    A soft cloth, not an old t-shirt, something that won't scratch.

Can you post pictures of your items so we have a better idea of what you are dealing with.

pjc likes this.
  9. pjc

pjc New Member

Thanks Cheryl interesting reading.

10. pjc

pjc New Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Microfibre cloths work remarkably well. A Sunshine cloth on small things is good. I like Silver Foam, NEVER dip and I don't like the electrolysis method over much.

kyratango and pjc like this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think i have cleaned more silver than all of you together. I LOVE polishing silver. I always wash it in hot water soapy water and then use a silver cream, rinse and then dry. I never have tried the ammonia soak and tin foil. I have used the dreaded not to be used Tarne-X on pieces that have been so black that polish does not work on. Just remember to polish it when clean like all the other silver. Never ever use it on regular tarnished silver. It has worked on silver that was in a fire and then buried in debris for months that a company wanted hundreds of dollars to restore. Two bottles of Tarne-X and a tub of regular cream polish, took 12 dollars and a few hours of work but it was beautiful when done.
    greg

serafino, kyratango and pjc like this.
  13. gregsglass

Hi,
    My favorite piece of silver was a huge 7ft high sterling and plate church lamp 250 years old. Taking it down and polishing it and rehanging it took three weeks of work but spectacular when done. It had a 125lb counterweight 100 ft high.
    greg

pjc likes this.
  14. pjc

pjc New Member

Thanks to you all I will make sure I get the right gear before I start.

15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

acid 001.JPG
    I think I'll start with muriatic acid

16. gregsglass

Hi Terry,
    Those are easy. I show you some that were black and unreadable, they were hard.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Send them to me I'll shine them up and send them back.
    greg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

WOW....I do not think I ever met someone who loves to polish silver :eek::jawdrop:

Greg..you are unusual!!!!;)

kyratango likes this.
  18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I do not really mind polishing my own silver as it is a way of playing with real money (how childish is that?) and my partner's father, who is over 90, likes polishing silver as well. It may be something very old people like.

janettekay likes this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I, too, don't mind polishing silver. It's brass that I HATE to polish!

kyratango likes this.
  20. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I must be a freak. I love polishing silver AND brass :p

Draft saved Draft deleted