Featured Clear Glass Cruets - Keep Either?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 15, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I am trying to buy smaller, because I ran out of space a while ago. :shame: I saw these two cruets, one of which I think has some age to it. I'm talking about the taller one (7 inches), because it has a pontil scar on the bottom. I remember reading here that they would blow glass into molds rather than pouring it. I think @verybrad made that comment.

The second one, I think is prettier in shape, but has no wear on the bottom. It could easily be a newer piece, but maybe it has lead an easier life on a table cloth. It is 6 1/4 inches tall. Is either worth keeping because it is antique? As always, I would appreciate any help.

IMG_4253.JPG IMG_4256.JPG IMG_4255.JPG IMG_4257.JPG IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4259.JPG IMG_4260.JPG IMG_4261.JPG IMG_4262.JPG

johnnycb09, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I like them both! If you're going to USE it, for me, I or someone else might be less likely to tip over the fatter, squatter one!!! But they're both pretty!!!

3. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

The shorter one looks as though it could be cut rather than molded or pressed. Are the facets sharp?

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

You're no help :D. I really don't live a cruet life, but your point is well taken. I hadn't thought of their usefulness.

judy, pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have a couple, and use either for vinegar, since I like vinegar on a few things!! But also grew up with Mom using them!!! AND now you have a choice!:happy::happy:

6. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. Very sharp and there are some irregularities. The transitions aren't consistent.

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I can see the advantage of having something beautiful on the table.

johnnycb09, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

9. KikoBlueEyes

Ooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! 1884. Don't I love that date. I'm so very glad you are here and know all this information. I get so easily lost.

Elson did some very pretty colored pieces, but I see they didn't last long as Elson according to your link.

I thought the other one was just a beautiful cruet. It will have to find another home then, as I am chalked full of real ABP glass.

Thank you as always for your stellar insights.

TallCakes likes this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I use mine for sesame seed oil.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Sounds lovely. You can see the colors through the glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted