Featured Cloisonne Teapot with Phoenix & Butterflies - nice detail + sparklies. Any info?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Dec 16, 2017.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

This piece came in recently, and I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about it? I have not worked on that many cloisonne pieces, so one question is if there are any special words that apply to this piece. Others at the store here felt it was unusual due to the amount of detail work that it has. Any idea of the age? The knob on the lid seems consistent with others I've seen, but the fastener is obviously new (and ill fitting).

Teapot with lid weighs 15 ounces / 426 grams. It is 7-1/2 inches high (to top of knob), 6-1/4 inches wide, measured across at the handle and spout. About 4 inches in diameter at the widest point.

Thank you! ... Dave
    db_cltea_01.JPG db_cltea_03.JPG db_cltea_02.JPG db_cltea_04.JPG db_cltea_07.JPG db_cltea_05.JPG db_cltea_06.JPG

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can't help ID but I don't think it's a tea pot. A tall shape like that with the spout starting high up is usually a chocolate pot.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is a term for the type which has foil pieces in it,but don't remember right now.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No slot for a stirring spoon, so it could be a coffee pot. Chinese either way. Age...it's got some, but only a real expert could say

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

If @toomanytocount is still around, she will say:)
    for the moment you may explore her old site, very complete:
    idcloisonne.com

This sparkly enamel is referred to aventurine:)

6. gimbler-dave

All kinds of great information - thank you all. I will do some review later with the people that came up with this piece, and suggest the other piece possibilities.

What does everyone think of the quality of the work? Is this average, or better than that?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its quite nicely done,and Im guessing victorian era for age. its really lovely,and I long ago was over this type of stuff but Id have jumped on it.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with Evelyb.
    I think it is Japanese.

The bottom actually looks like ceramic and not metal. Can you confirm the pot is metal and not ceramic?

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures, Dave.
    I agree with cluttered, Japanese.
    It is Japanese cloisonné and goldstone, Meiji Period, 1868-1912. The pieces with the flickering specks are goldstone, essentially glass and a Venetian invention, although there are much earlier Persian examples. The Venetians re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.
    The bronze flower finial on the lid is classic Japanese, as are the little flowers dotted all over the teapot.
    For an idea of a price, you can find items like yours on ebay if you search for 'cloisonné and goldstone'.
    @Hollyblue I think you were thinking of ginbari, Japanese cloisonné with foil.
    @kyratango , toomany hasn't been around since july, I believe.

The square fastener is traditional, but it looks like the finial was slightly loose, giving the fastener room to turn and move about and damage the enamel. Here is a jar with the square fastener inside the lid:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/361/1976/lot/89834

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. gimbler-dave

Thank you so much Any Jewelry - I was away for a couple of days, and didn't see all the added information until this morning. It is so easy to see the other comparables now (such as those on eBay) with the many similar features.

ClutteredCloset49 - yes, I confirm all metal. The underside looks like brass, but with a dark and irregular patina. When I look at it with a magnifying glass, my eyes keep wanting to spot a mark, but I don't think it is marked.

I am finishing up a listing today for eBay as we have to sell this for one of our customers, so it should be active tonight, with a full complement of 12 pictures. The nice detail and vibrant colors make it a fun piece to take pictures of!

Thank you all, and best wishes for the rest of the holidays! ... Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted