Featured Cloisonne Vase info

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jed, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Jed

Jed New Member

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently bought these Cloisonne Vases at an estate sale for about $100 without knowing anything about them. The other items at the sale were all of high quality. I've looked around at the prices for these vases and they seem to vary a lot. Does anyone have any info on these or know what they may be worth? One of hem has some damage at the bottom but are otherwise in great condition. They stand 15.5" high and are 8" across. The image on them mirror each other and there are no markings.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DSC_8460.jpg DSC_8464.jpg DSC_8470.jpg DSC_8551.jpg DSC_8557.jpg DSC_8464.jpg DSC_8464.jpg

judy, dude, i need help and 3 others like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Jed !!! .. Joy. :)

dude and i need help like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Welcome. Your vases are Chinese 20thc., and very high quality. Damage on cloisonne is unfortunately quite a demerit, but restoration in this case looks possible. They certainly are a handsome pair of substantial size so I think you did fine buying them for that price.

judy, Christmasjoy, dude and 3 others like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I agree. Nice looking pair, but the damage will affect value. However, I think $100 is a good buy, and as another collector told me, “You can always put the damaged side facing the wall.”

komokwa, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. Jed

Jed New Member

Thanks so much for the replies. The damage looks really bad in the picture, and I guess it is pretty bad, but it's also pretty hard to see in person. I never even noticed it until I accidentally put my hand on it while picking it up.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your hands will often show you things your eyes have missed.

blooey, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

They are beautiful vases. i like the way you have used them for your orchids adds so much to their beauty.

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Jed!

Welcome to Antiquers.............

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't find the damage dissuades me from their beauty....at all !!!:happy:

Christmasjoy and Pat P like this.
  10. Jed

Jed New Member

I'm lucky the damage of the missing enamel is in the flower part of the design. In the black area it would have been much more noticeable.

Question for Blooey, you say the vases are 20thc Chinese, what makes you think this? I would be eager to learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted