Featured Cobalt with Metallic Sheen Vase; UnSigned

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 9, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

6" high, ~2½" X ~2¼" cross-section, ~2⅞" rim diameter, ~⅛" wall at rim; it weighs 217 grams. The rim is ground, and maybe not as noticeably, chamfered on both the inner and outer edge, very clean & smooth.

Years ago I was being educated by a patient expert in many things fine & old, as was she. I was told what this process was called, and the name of one high-end studio where this craft had matured into stunning, magnificent creations...I was even briefly allowed to hold a piece of it in my hot little hands, to marvel & drool over such a precious bauble. That same day I was also introduced to Daum Nancy...which I have never encountered since!

So much for a lesson the essentials of which have passed from my alleged mind. I'm completely at a loss to ID this, though I doubt it's anywhere as old, nor as fine as the example was back then. I cast myself upon your tender mercies, full of hope. Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_9495.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9497.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9494.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9490.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9492.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  2. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly appears to be a hand blown blue glass vase, modern in form, with an iridescent finish, which was made by applying metallic salts to the surface and refiring.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

You weren't thinking of Tiffany Favrile were you?

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be thinking of that.

judy likes this.
  5. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

But doesn't Tiffany favrile glass have the iridescence throughout the glass, not just on the outer surface?

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no glassie, but I'm not "smelling" Tiffany. This looks relatively recent. Not to say I wouldn't have grabbed it like a stray dog on a T-bone but it looks newer.

verybrad, judy and Jaena like this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

No...not that.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted