Coffee grinder lamp stamped pat. Dec.4, 1917

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by CuriousChristina, Mar 28, 2018.

?

What's the highest you would you pay for this?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2018.
  1. $100

100.0%
  2. $200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CuriousChristina

CuriousChristina New Member

I'm having trouble finding a price for this exact coffee grinder. The top is cast iron, wood box, brass parts throughout the lamp, single drawer, and lots of dovetailing. The handle is stamped pat. Dec.4, 1917. Truly is a gorgeous piece! If anyone has an idea of where it came from or what it is worth, I'd greatly appreciate the insight! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The drawer is not original to the piece. Coffee mills were very common when it was patented. It just makes a nice light, worth is a lot less than you think. I see them around here for 20 to 25 dollars.
    greg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The coffee grinder no longer has value as a coffee grinder as it has been altered to make a lamp.
    The lamp is cute, but this country style is no longer as popular as it used to be.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I concur with the above statements. The country look is not trendy at the moment and a lover of antique items just sees a coffee grinder that has been ruined to make a lamp. Not a lot of value here regretfully.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was thinking replica with the intention of being a lamp base, original drawer lost.

6. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Might push $70 if somebody was desperate for a decor piece like this but that would be an estimate of top end retail. Reasonable for an individual seller is probably nearer to Greg’s estimate, maybe a little higher but I’m unsure

7. CuriousChristina

CuriousChristina New Member

Thank you everyone for the replies! After the little research i did i figured it was at least $100. But i do see that ebay is sometimes high with their prices. I appreciate the information very much

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The “starting” prices shown on EBay are worthless for reference since so many newbies there are overly-optimistic. However if you use “advanced search” for sold items only, the sold prices can be good references.

9. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Sorry it’s all in £ but these are a few I found on eBay uk quickly. Average around $50 but there was the one unusual example that sold at approx. $130 but that is the highest selling and seems to be an anomaly.

Attached Files: