Collection of Porcelain Demitasses

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Anna Johndrow, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

HA Marking Cup rotated.jpeg View attachment 245858 HA Marked Cup and Saucer.JPEG View attachment 245849 HA Marked Saucer.JPEG HA CU2.JPEG Haddon Hall cup and saucer.JPEG Haddon Hall Saucer.JPEG Handpainted Asian No Marking Cup and Saucer.JPEG Handpainted Asian Saucer.JPEG Rosenthal Parzival Cup and Saucer.JPEG Rosenthal Parzival Saucer.JPEG Hope your fine group of wise and informed experts can help me decide what to do with my collection of demitasses. I am 71 years old and trying to take stock of what I own that my children with either not be interested in or not recognize any emotional value to. I think my collection of demitasse cups falls into that category and I would hate to see them end up in some garage sale for 25 cents! My great grandparents were missionaries in Burma in the late 19th century until WWII and some of my demitasses are from their time there. Most of them were gifted to me by a great, great, great Aunt from Iowa (she had stored my great grandparent's possessions in her basement). She passed away at 96 when I was 14. My question is, since the collection is made up of single examples of each demitasse would I be better advised to find a collector interested in the LOT or try to find collectors interested in each individual piece? I have included some photos but I have a total of 16 pieces. (Please forgive my dark fingernails...I had just finished polishing silver.)

Anna

Thanks you for your help.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    moreotherstuff and NewEngland like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Anna. Photos give the majority of new posters some trouble the first time or two. You've got your set attached twice, so select 'Edit' at the bottom of your entry so you can go back in to enlarge your thumbnails & delete the extras. You can do all the enlarging by choosing to make all photo full size with a single check box. You'll have the hang of it in no time. Many first timers have difficulty getting pix to load at all; you've already mastered that bit. :)

4. Anna Johndrow

Thanks for the tips BUT... when I loaded the pictures I chose INSERT ALL IMAGES AS FULL SIZE or the verbiage like that. I just went and deleted all the thumbnails but I suspect I deleted everything. I'm trying!

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The ones with the oriental character marks are Japanese and likely early 1900's. You need to rotate the pictures of the marks so that the character with the L around it is at the bottom.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

We can be pretty trying too: make them larger; make them fewer; turn them the right way up; put them back! It's all in the name of getting as many eyes on them as possible.

7. Bronwen

Oh, & to add them back you will need to select 'other choices' after 'edit'.

8. Anna Johndrow

I think I figured it out. Let me know if I need to rotate any more of the Asian character ones. I took the pictures both ways because I KNOW what I don't KNOW!

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You do need to turn the very first picture 90 degrees to the right.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Anna Johndrow

Rotated! Of course, their writing is up and down, not left to right! Duh!

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Anna - For me it would depend on the selling venue. On ebay I would try and list the Minton and the Rosenthal separately if the sold listings for those patterns show any signs of life. The oriental pieces, while lovely, are probably not worth much as individual pieces and might sell best as a pair.

It's a sad fact that so many pieces collected and handed down to us have little value to the generations coming up. It may hurt to put them in a sale for a low amount but sometimes the best you can hope for is that they find a home where they are treasured and may become a piece handed down through the family of the new owners as part of their family history.
    Don

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted