Collection of Swords

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Feb 3, 2023.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Good evening everyone.

Got a few photos to post with my newly learned posting skills.

A brief backstory my dad received these in 2009 from a contact he met online. The same time I was deployed coincidently. His contact was a traveler that sent random things to him as he traveled. My dad passed away and I inherited this collection. I always thought this stuff was whatever but I finally see the beauty in what my dad collected.

I have done no tests on the swords but I remember my dad saying he did a scratch acid test and it was 8k. Well, something was. Not sure what. All the gems on the other stuff tested real I imagine this might be too.

I think these swords are Iranian.

Please let me know what you think. Have a good night!

@komokwa hope you're doing well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  2. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

@Aquitaine what do u think of these? No one commented yet :(

Foreal these swords are heavy and sturdy.... my mind is melting. Either elaborate amazing s tier fakes or omg omg

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@skyshark, I think your images came out great and the blades look fascinating!!! @Any Jewelry is VERY well versed in SO MANY areas, trust what she has to say!! BUT, I am by NO MEANS any kind of expert on any kind of blades, trust me!! I too have things I need help identifying, and need help with, but also, like a few others, am better at helping clarifying images with a few programs I use....they often help a lot, other times, not so much, but this site has helped SO MUCH!!! There are so many members who are great at researching as well....everyone tries to help each other....I do find the ones with the 'steers heads & snakes/serpents?' most interesting!! Here I inverted the close-up changed the brightness & increased contrast, reduced some color, to see what might not be showing........I'll do something similar when looking for marks on jewelry/paintings/ pottery or whatever works!!!

20230203_202327.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Be patient. It sometimes takes a couple of days for the right people to check in. They will want to know where you got them, and what you know or were told about them.

6. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Yea, I can wait. No rush. Got work in the am anyways zzZzzz

KSW and Potteryplease like this.
  7. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

@Any Jewelry what do u think if these? Last pics I'm going to post I think. Going to try and find a reputable place to take this stuff. One of those LOOKS like gold. It looks like the blade was chipped and potentially the gold is showing through? Idk, gotta put this stuff in experts hands.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This thread has had 307 views, so people are looking, but not recognizing.:)

Could you please post all your photos full image? My laptop doesn't like this site very much, so while waiting for a thumbnail to open, I can watch the news and weather forecast.;) And sometimes it just gives up. Which it did now.

The only one you posted full image looks like a ring pommel sword. Except yours seems to have two rings, which I haven't seen before.
    You can find ring pommel swords from Ireland to Korea, so quite an area.
    Have you posted it yet, am I missing something?

NewEngland likes this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am assuming you think the sword hilt is gold. I doubt any part of your sword would be all gold . Gold is just not strong enough unless purely ornamental. maybe gold guilding on the hilts .

10. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I posted several pics in the body of a message at the top. Idk I see the pics.

See attached is a screen shot of the above post.

Attached Files:

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those are thumbnails, and I explained how long that takes for me.
    Other people can post full image, some even right from the start.
    If you refuse to post photos full image, I don't see why I should waste my time waiting for those thumbnails to show full image (if at all).

I have given you quite a lot of information on your items, good luck with that. My help stops now, thanks to your unwillingness to cooperate. There are others here who are clearly more deserving of my attention.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Dude.. I'm at work. I posted full images last night i don't know why u can't see em. I posted that last one because I'm working and can't change the format and wanted to show I did in fact, from what I'm aware, post a full image. I find it kinda messed up you turned hostile on me so fast. I'll gladly take my information searching elsewhere...

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@skyshark - you have not answered the question of where these things are coming from. Knowing where an object was found is very helpful in a proper identification. It is also important for those of us who prefer not to help with objects with backgrounds that may be suspect (ie. looted).

NewEngland likes this.
  14. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Ahh sorry, I also have adhd so I tend to forget and leave details out sometime.. My dad got all this stuff from a guy that traveled all over the Middle east in 2009. Not sure the exact time frame, but 2009ish. From what I understand in that time people were looting all over and my dad's contact sent him stuff he was able to acquire. Idk how my dad met this guy, and online forum I'm assume. But yea... the stories I heard, this stuff is straight from the Middle east, idk if my dad's friend was a looter, or what, but yea..

I believe it was looted. Heck, while I was deployed to Iraq our FOB was centered around one of saddams sons palaces. Our gym was in the ballroom. That time was pretty dang lawless.

But ya I'll stop posting on this site. I definitely got enough information and appreciate everyone who took a look and gave me their input. I'm assuming it was probably looted but I'm not for sure, just heresay from my dad, who is no longer here to ask questions... time to find a university to run tests.. I'm just an single father, Army Vet, caring for my dying mother... possible "Looted BC" treasure is too deep for me ATM. If it is true, I feel a higher power is as play. The World needs change, the world is not focused on LIFE.

komokwa likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

these two are identical, and must have come from the same mold.....

I can't say by whom or when these were made.....:sorry:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. komokwa

gold plating was indeed a thing.......

[​IMG]
    Fig. 3. Mycenaean swords with elaborate gold plating, 1400–1300 BC. From left: small dagger with three gold-plated rivets; sword with gold-capped rivet and gold plating on the hilt; gold-plated hilt with repoussé decoration representing lions hunting goats, held in place by gold rivets and gold ring; sword with repoussé spiral motif on hilt; sword with five gold-plated rivets. Archaeological Museum Heracleion, Crete. (Photo A. Giumlia-Mair)

what's on your swords, I can't really say , though..

17. komokwa

[​IMG]

once again we're back to copies of ancient Luristan bronze swords......

[​IMG]

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...an-bronze-sword-large-pommel-62a-c-990456fb67

I CAN NOT VERIFY THIS INFORMATION>>

.Ancient Near East, Northwestern Iran, Luristan, ca. 1000 to 600 BCE. A fantastic bronze sword made by the lost wax technique and adorned with a large pommel. The blade was cast first, then the handle was cast on to the tang, with a pommel that divides into two finely decorated semi-circular "ears" at right angles to the blade. This well-balanced weapon has a slender, square-edged hilt that joins to the rectangular guard, carefully designed with crescent-shaped horns that attach and extend partway down the edges of the blade. A prominent midrib runs the length of the tapering blade and ends at the tip. A beautiful weapon that may have protected an elite member of the Luristan people, but the ornate pommel indicates this piece ultimately showed off the owner's status. This undoubtably was a spectacular weapon when polished, and the quality of the sword is clearly evident even after thousands of years! In addition, the blade has been well preserved and has developed a rich green patina with russet red areas as well. Size: 26.625" L x 2.25" W (67.6 cm x 5.7 cm)

It seems that swords like this example were not just made to be used in battle, but instead to show status or to be offered as votive weapons. There was a strong tradition in the ancient Near East of swords and other weapons being associated with the gods. For example, we know of a rock carving dating to ca. 1300 BCE from this region that shows a scene of the gods of the Underworld, including one who is holding a sword similar to this one. Similarly, a golden bowl excavated at Hasanlu (northwestern Iran) shows three swords of similar form to this one that are associated with three deities from the Hittite pantheon. Whatever its original function, this would have been a spectacular weapon to behold, with a deep, shining surface when polished. Whoever commissioned this sword must have been an elite individual of high status, perhaps seeking to honor the gods by handling such a weapon.

Provenance: ex-Estate of Eldert Bontekoe, Pegasi Numismatics, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA acquired before 2000

All items legal to buy/sell under U.S. Statute covering cultural patrimony Code 2600, CHAPTER 14, and are guaranteed to be as described or your money back.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. komokwa

[​IMG]

still can't find the bull heads....casting any eye towards.Egypt

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted