Featured Colonial Revival bed and dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Varina, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Varina

Varina New Member

Hi!
    I have a bed and dresser which I believe may be Colonial Revival. I do also have the mirror but I just don't like to use it personality. They have been in my family since at least the 30's and I will be passing them on to a younger family member soon.

I would like to get them cleaned up before I pass them on. They've also got a few scratches since I've been using them since I was 4. Does anyone have recommendations of safe polishes to use or anything to help the scratches? Also, if anyone has any information on this type of furniture or more resources, I would really appreciate it!

judy, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Colonial revival? no, I don't think so, more likely Victorian-style furniture.

Pat Dennis, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Varina

Varina New Member

Thank you. Clearly I don't know much about it and neither does anyone in my family. Do you have an estimate if what decade it might be from?

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But @James Conrad ...you're saying Victorian "STYLE" furniture.....so not actually that old???? It doesn't look like it has that kind of age....or has been refinished, but looks like it's maple as well.....kind of confusing to me....

komokwa, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Dresser looks like 1870s Renaissance revival with the carved wood pulls & top glove/handkerchief boxes, can't really tell about the bed, can't see very much of it.
    Could well be the same era, 1860s-1870s spool turned bed which was popular then.
    One thing for sure, not colonial, it's victorian.
    Wait for Ghopper, this isn't in my area of interest.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    verybrad, komokwa, judy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Each image is pretty large if you click on them!!

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not much to add to that. 1860s-1870s Renaissance Revival dresser with a spool bed from the same era. Walnut. Nice pieces, but even in fine condition you'd get $100-$200 each at auction in my part of the U.S. Midwest. These are far better than any dresser or bed you could buy new. The much-heralded increase in value for brown furniture may be happening, but at best its at the very slow beginning stages right now. Would recommend keeping these for the foreseeable future.

8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

We have a pair of dressers like that and would certainly put them in the late 19th century. I have noted a bit more interest in brown furniture at sales and auctions so maybe it is waking up slowly. Have a store room with lots of stuff I would like to thin out.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some Howard's Restor-A-Finish will spruce these up nicely.

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sweet little dresser. Glad to hear it will stay in the family.

Debora

11. Varina

Varina New Member

Thanks to both of you for the information! I've been trying to figure out which of my family members first owned these so having those dates helps a lot!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Varina

Varina New Member

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll try it out!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted