Colorful Plaid Blanket Heavy With Embelishment

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by baltojoe75, Oct 19, 2022.

1. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

I have two of these blankets. They are the same style, just different color palate. It is quite heavy. 60 inches wide by 86 inches long.
    The photo of the blanket on the floor is not completely unfolded. The pattern on the top and bottom is the same. I am thinking these are 1930's maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. No holes, just a few pulls. The next to last picture shows the
    back side where the pom poms are sewed and the turned edging with the hand stiching.

blanket 1.JPG blanket2.JPG blanket3.JPG blanket4.JPG

kyratango and Born2it like this.
  2. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting dimensions. Shorter and narrower than a modern twin blanket. Are the Pom poms the same fiber as the blanket, or just exceptionally well color matched? Any idea what the fabric is? If not, you could snip off a little bit of the loose thread from a Pom Pom and do a burn test.

Cool blanket no matter what.. would love a picture of the other one! Where did they come from? I’d bet they used to be on two twin beds in the same room.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Are they wool? Photos provided make them look like a heavy cotton. Is there any known history? My first impression would have been 1970s due to the colors of the one shown... just wondering why you suggest 30s?
    Frankly, I doubt they have much value, other than sentimental. (I realize you didn't specifically ask for help with value but you did state, "Any help would be greatly appreciated.")

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  4. Born2it

There’s something about them that tickles my brain. My first impression was 1970’s too, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t worth anything beyond sentimental value.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No way to identify for sure but... I'd think those were originally inexpensive cotton blankets that were "prettied up" by a previous owner. To my eye, they look 1950s but could be a decade or so in either direction.

Debora

6. baltojoe75

I got them both at the as is for 6.95 each. blanket 6.JPG blanket7.JPG blanket8.JPG My 1930's impression was just me taking a guess. Here is the second one. I hadn't looked at it really until just now when taking the photos but it is a few inches wider (65 inches) and longer. The material is wool on everything, pompoms etc. Very scratchy (I wouldnt want to sleep directly under it for sure)

Figtree3, kyratango and Born2it like this.
  7. baltojoe75

The burn test smells like burned hair

kyratango and Born2it like this.
  8. Born2it

9. Born2it

If the burning thread smells like burning hair, the fabric is almost certainly primarily wool. And if nothing else, wool blankets at $7 a piece is definitely a good buy, IMNSHO.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Figtree3 and Born2it like this.
  11. Born2it

To be honest, it didn’t occur to me either. But something about them was setting off an itch in my brain, so I did a Google image search, and that was one of the first results. I could be wrong about the rug thing too, but one thing I do know for sure, and that is one couldn’t buy a single yard of that fabric for what the OP paid, even if it was modern machine woven wool blended with polyester.

kyratango and bluumz like this.
  12. Born2it

EB1280E4-7EC2-4875-937B-05E21601DA1F.png
    Of course, I wouldn’t bet on this asking price being indicative of value, even if your pieces are this old, which we don’t know. But this pattern sure looks similar to your first post, at least to me.
    Antique Large Khorjin, Qashqa'i - Darrehshuri Tribe, Fars Province, South-West Persia.

Price
    £1,500
    | $1,692 USD | €1,677 EUR

Item Ref
    BM1701

Description
    I love this khorjin (saddle-bags) with its twill-weave which reminds me of my Scottish tartans!
    Made by Darrehshuri- Qashqa'i nomads around 1900, the bags are complete and in near-perfect condition. Throughout the twill-weave, note the small knotted-pile tufts, inserted by the weaver to symbolise good-luck. The sides of both bags are braided using goat-hair for resilience.
    This is an amazingly beautiful khorjin I have to say.
    Size: 1.09m x 0.79m (3' 7" x 2' 7").
    Viewing by appointment only.
    Internal Ref: BM1701

Dimensions
    Height = 109 cm (43")
    Width = 79 cm (31")”
    https://www.brianmacdonaldantiqueru...ehshuri-tribe-fars-province-southwest-persia/

kyratango likes this.
  13. Born2it

14. Born2it

Who in the group knows a lot about rugs? Because now I really want to know if I’m just seeing things or what!

15. Born2it

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sorry. I have never seen this kind of textile called a rug.

17. Born2it

I hadn’t seen anything exactly like this, but when I went looking….
    F1461C81-9D59-4B13-B273-C5AB204CD166.jpeg E0C874DC-C7E1-4328-9D88-4ADE9576CC74.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I saw that but find it very hard to believe.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Born2it

20. Born2it

2A2FD2E4-29EE-48A1-A01E-7327B2F543D1.png
    5765C47A-E91D-4D90-A983-E8CCA553EA5B.png
    Akma Patchwork 300cm x 80cm / 9’10” x 6’6”
    £490.00 £345.00

Patchwork Kilim. These kilims are made from a range of different Turkish weave constructions which are then pieced together forming a patchworked piece. Each rug has a fabric liner backing…

https://dicarpet.com/kilim-patchwork-207x146-multicolor-39515

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted