Colorful Plaid Blanket Heavy With Embelishment

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by baltojoe75, Oct 19, 2022.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so they cut up carpets that no one is buying...to make a stupider one ...for 400 pounds..???

that's special !:yuck:

2. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

E3D3223A-C94A-4A3F-B160-D464021408FE.png
    EBD7C89D-4BF9-4401-B9A6-DD135783B73C.png

“Vintage Turkish Patchwork Kilim. Hand stitched from remnants of hand made Turkish kilims from the Oushak region of Western Turkey.

Size: 3' x 5' Origin: Turkish Circa: Vintage

Patchwork carpets are made of remnants of vintage hand made carpets and kilims that are damaged beyond repair. A form of eco friendly repurposing of a carpet's use. Hand sewing together pieces basic geometric cut shapes to form a larger carpet.

160578 / TR-PATCH-KIL”
    https://www.nalbandian.com/products/vintage-turkish-kilim-patchwork-3-0-x-5-0-160578

3. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

I never gave it a thought that they could be rugs. I'm pretty pleased!

Born2it and kyratango like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Born2it

I’ve been doing some reading, and apparently taking damaged rugs and either making patchwork rugs or actually unraveling the rugs and reusing the wool, which is often very pretty, - to my eye anyway- is a big thing. Which makes sense, if you don’t have unlimited resources. Obviously, some patchwork is way more attractive than others! I posted it to show that plaid kilim rugs were something that happened.

They probably didn’t sell very well, because who looks at handwoven wool plaid and thinks “Kilim rug!” I rather like both patchwork and plaid, but I have to say these patchwork rugs are not exactly my flavor either!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Born2it

I’m so glad! I really like them. I am so unqualified to determine age or if they’re handwoven it isn’t even funny, but they sure are cool!

7. Born2it

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with this particular type of textile, and don't have time to do more research at the moment, but I think you have identified their origin correctly, @Born2it. Nice finds, @baltojoe75.

They do appear to be handwoven, with hand spun yarns. I can't say anything about the age of these two examples.

Plaid textiles have a surprisingly long history. They have been recovered from very ancient sites, both in Europe and Central Asia, and seem to be associated with early Celtic cultures that spread out from central Europe both to the east and west.

http://www.geometricae.com/2019/10/31/qizilchoqa-tartan-tissue-anonymous/

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan/the-birth-of-tartan/

Figtree3 and Born2it like this.
  9. Born2it

Thank you!

10. GreekAntiques

GreekAntiques "Wisdom begins in wonder." Socrates

Good morning. A little late, but better late than never.

@baltojoe75 I have never seen the like in antique or even vintage Oriental carpets and trappings.

However, @Born2it found a good source: Brian MacDonald is a long-time and reputable dealer and his book, 'Tribal Rugs - Treasures of the Black Tent' is an invaluable resource. I would follow that route and even send him a picture, if you want to invest the time.

More general observations, for those who have an interest:

I have been surprised at time by the lack of distinction between floor coverings, wall hangings, blankets and bedclothes. Somethings were multipurpose; others made for very specific use. See MacDonald again on jajim kilims, used as both blankets and covers for the storage-bags around the circumference of the tent:
    https://www.brianmacdonaldantiqueru...ashqai-nomads-fars-province-southwest-persia/

There is a whole class of bedding that has clumps of thick unfinished wool on one side, which was used simply for insulation and cushioning.

There is a booming business in re-purposing. Merchants in the Middle East and especially Turkey take older pieces and re-using components. For example, they will unravel older carpets with vegetable dyes and use the threads or yarns to patch or reweave others. Scrupulous sellers will let you know; others, well, you know.

Dimensions of tribal pieces are usually smaller, and especially narrower, because the women worked on looms that had to be broken down for transport on a regular basis. Nothing like the large stationary looms used by village or urban workshops.

Finally, goat hair was a traditional stitching material for the sides and closings of many trappings. Strong, easily available and cheap for nomads. And it would smell like burned hair.

Having said all that, I think both pieces have charm and, given the price you paid, you got a bargain.

Born2it and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted