Featured Commemorative King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Coronation Goblet

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joey Ely Wicks, May 10, 2024.

1. Joey Ely Wicks

Joey Ely Wicks New Member

Front Queen Elizabeth.jpg Coronation Date.jpg I'm trying to find out if this goblet has any value. According to https://rauantiques.com/products/commemorative-king-george-vi-and-queen-elizabeth-coronation-goblet, it is a limited edition goblet commemorating the coronation of Queen Elizabeth and King VI. I saw one auctioned at Sothbeys between $1500-2500, but the retail value is $5,250.

A friend gave it to me years ago, along with a bunch of Bavarian china and antique lead crystal. I have gone through the entire bin and carefully repacked the china until I can evaluate it; the antique lead crystal is next on my list. I only unpacked the bin yesterday to realize what was in it, which I thought was a bunch of old dessert plates, saucers, and tea cups. The goblet was a find; how could someone be so careless with such precious items? She received these items from her boss, who was cleaning out his garage. Many of these items, she told me, were wedding gifts to him and his wife. Go figure!

I would like to get it appraised to see if it has any value or if I should just keep it. Once I take photos of the china, I will post those as well.

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is not a site for valuations........but members will try to help you find a fair market value by pointing you in the right direction.

Joey Ely Wicks and wlwhittier like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

One of the things about George VI memorabilia is that he became King after the abdication of Edward VIII. No one had anticipated him rising to the throne. Everyone had expected Edward to become King, so there was a large supply of Edward VIII stuff ready to hit the shelves, but his abdication came as a surprise. Consequently, there was little time for manufacturers and retailers to prepare for George VI. There's just not the same volume of material available from George VI's coronation as might usually be expected.

4. komokwa

we won't get Charles on our money till 2027.......... and by then......who knows if he'll be around...or who will care...

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We here in the United States got some of the Royal Visit memorabelia from when George VI and Queen Elizabeth went to Canada, but little from the coronation. Can't help with the prices.

Joey Ely Wicks likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

He is on Canadian coinage starting in 2023 (though there were also Elizabeth coins minted that year). But paper money...? I'll bet the cancer diagnosis has a lot to do with that.

Joey Ely Wicks and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

yes, I have a coin.....

8. Joey Ely Wicks

9. Joey Ely Wicks

That would be a great help; this is precisely what I was seeking help with. Thank you.

10. Joey Ely Wicks

As an American, I am fascinated with British history. I have read extensively about the monarchs throughout the history of the British Empire and their impact on the European continent and American history. As it has directly impacted my ancestry due to colonization and as an African American.

I recall reading about Edward VIII's abdication; love makes you take unbelievable actions. George IV did what he needed to do, and although Elizabeth did not have her eyes set on the throne, George VI already had her groomed for it.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    kentworld likes this.
  11. Joey Ely Wicks

I do apologize for confusing everyone about valuations. Now that I know how to post my other items, I will make sure I post them correctly in asking for identification. Thank you for your assistance. By the way, I am here in America also. This is the only British memorabilia that I happen to have. A friend gave it to me in a box of other items I seek to identify.

12. Joey Ely Wicks

An Elizabethian coin or George VI?

13. Joey Ely Wicks

Charles has never been my favorite. He has always publicly expressed his desire to take his place on the throne. I always thought he should have been more decorous in his handling of himself, but I believe he has never handled himself as a man prepared for the throne. But then, they are just people. I don't blame Harry for wanting a normal life; there is a lot of pressure on monarchs. Look at the history of monarchs throughout any culture, not only Britain (although only a small percentage is left).

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

15. Joey Ely Wicks

16. Joey Ely Wicks

Thank you, Debora; I appreciate the response and the information. Mine has the silver coin in the center of the goblet. I've seen the elaborate ones, some as high as $12k, here in the US on Ebay. It is amazing how expensive they are.

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd appreciate your showing us an example of same.

Debora

18. komokwa

Charles..!

& I see the coin in your cup ....

19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Me, too!
    And please only show SOLD prices... asking prices are immaterial and often grossly inflated.
    (EDIT: It's not that uncommon for people to list items from their own collections at inflated prices because they don't actually want to part the item. But, they think, if some rabid buyer would actually be willing to pay the inflated price then they'll let it go. So, the question becomes... do you want to list/value yours at a price where it may actually sell?)

A current search of sold George VI stuff on US ebay shows only ten items that broke the $100 mark, out of 82 sold results. Meanwhile, there are 655 George VI things available in current BINs/auctions that no one's bought at their current listing prices. (And I'm not counting coins in these stats.)

I am an American that collects British monarchy stuff, thanks to my English mother. :shame:
    I have several George VI/Queen E things, as well as Queen Victoria stuff, Edward VIII stuff, and -of course- QEII things. I've never considered any of it to be particularly valuable... the only things I have that might break $100 are a bone china QV diamond jubilee 1897 teapot, a hand-carved shell cameo of QV, and a couple Liberty of London silk scarves commemorating the 1937 coronation of KGVI/QE. I believe the cameo would be the only thing that may break the $200 mark, if I ever chose to sell it, partly because it's set in gold.

Your goblet is lovely and it would be welcome in my own collection but, nevertheless, I wouldn't have thought it had much more significant value than the vast majority of other monarchy collectibles.

Here's one with a silver coin, UK listing, asking price $118 US.
    A US listing for the same one at $150.
    Meanwhile, a US listing for a fancier one at $1500! (NOT A SOLD PRICE.)
    At this time, there are no sold listings on either US or UK ebay for similar, which may be an indicator of its desirability - or lack thereof.

When one sees pricing all over the board for similar items, it's generally safe to say that actual prices realized (sold prices) are likely to be at the lower end of the spectrum.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    Joey Ely Wicks and komokwa like this.
  20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Edward VIII was a dilettante and a bit of an idiot. George VI made a much better king, so it was actually good that he abdicated. The less said about Wallis Simpson, the better AFAIC. I'm prepared to give Charles a chance -- he's following one of the most loved and longest reigned monarch in British history, so he's always going to be a second act. Plus, the Commonwealth is dwindling in number of members and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed greatly. He's got a full plate.

bluumz and Joey Ely Wicks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted