Commercial, Arty Commercial or Studio Art glass??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Pick up this big bright blue vase at auction and and initially thought it was
    just a nice piece of commercial decor with two seams indicating pressed
    glass but the more I looked at it the less sure I became. It is 45cm high,
    26cm round and weighs 5Kg so it is a fairly solid lump of glass. The first thing that puzzled me was the dimples which are only on the top half were inside the vase and the outside was completely smooth. The dimple pattern wasn't broken by the seam so it appeared that someone had used a dimple tool whilst it was still red hot. Then I noticed the seam was odd. It starts out 4mm wide just under the lip and expands to about 10mm mid-vase and shrinks back at the bottom. Think this means the vase was blown into a two part mold then re-blown outside the mold. Also noted the seam stops just under the lip at a line running horizontally around the side. This has me stumped. Also there are a large number of very big bubbles in the glass so if it's a commercial unit then their quality control really sucks. If it's art glass then fair enough.
    Would love to know the steps used to create it so you glassies out there don't be shy.

So – Commercial?, Arty Commercial? or Studio Art Glass?

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like a Pier 1 type of glass import to me. Perhaps someone else will know..

wildrose likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted