Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Ministry, Harrisburg. Registry No. 8795

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Good find?, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Good find?

Good find? New Member

Hi, I just found this dark green leather, solid wood foot stool.

It is labelled 'Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Ministry, Harrisburg. Registry No. 8795'

I'm currently enrolled on an upholstery course so wanted to find out if this is 'something special' before I set about repairing it.

Any advice would be great, thank you!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice item......unless you can document where it came from and which famous person used it......i'd say have at it !

Good find? likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The PA Dept. of Labor and Industry was established in 1913. The law regarding the affixing of the adhesive "stamp" attached to the federal tag was first passed in 1937 and was later amended (1953 and 1961.)

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=552933&mode=2

So your footstool/ottoman does not date earlier than '37 and given the thick dark wood may even date after the 1961 revision. I say that because thick dark pine furniture was very popular in the late '60's when I was first married and buying furniture.

Good find? likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

It still belongs to PA, take it to Harrisburg and turn it in and I expect they will dismiss all charges.

cxgirl, silverthwait, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  5. Good find?

Good find? New Member

It some how managed to reside itself in Oxford England!

Pat P likes this.
  6. komokwa

7. komokwa

I'll bet it has Air Miles !!:)

Good find? likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a good first upholstery project. I agree that this is not terribly old or valuable. I would say 40s-50s based on styling. If that is real leather and in as good condition as it looks, I would be inclined to try and re-use it and refurbish the innards to make it more usable/presentable.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  9. Good find?

Good find? New Member

I was thinking just the same, the leather is in perfect condition, no wear at all having just wiped it down clean. Will repair the webbing and refill too! Excited. Thanks :)

10. Good find?

Good find? New Member

Thanks all, I will look into how to bring the wood back to a smooth and shiny finish also. Will post the final product!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I opened that link to the law and decided to read it later, some time when I'm trying to fall asleep!

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Being born and raised in PA. I thought all of these "official" stamps and rules where for the welfare of the citizens. WRONG it seems that PA had the laxest rules and regulations. So everyone who manufactured something used the PA stamps to get away with murder. It kept their manufacturing costs low. Now you know why there are so many PA stamps on stuff.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted