comparing values of Delft Hatchet (porceleyne de bilj) balusters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 25, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Prices seem to be all over the map. Here are three different sets: the first one sold on Worthpoint, possibly ebay for 800; the second was passed at probably a modest price, the third sold at Christie's for 2000+ going over the estimate (those 3 indicated by "20"). How does one evaluate the value of such? Are the faience/tin fired ones less valuable? links in another post. 19th-century-dutch-delft-garniture_1_a749d4834ba99f77cf44cf46cd0b310e.jpg 853f48f0-0ca4-43f1-891f-22f5552a2e02.jpg 2001_NYE_08489_0020_000(022807).jpg

2. sunday silence

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

put yours up for auction and you'll get a value......

it's not like a gold bar..........there is no , one value!

Ce BCA likes this.
  4. sunday silence

there's no one value but that doesn't mean its anything. What other factors can we look at? Is there a way to determine the age? these with the hatchet mark were made for a long time, I think the faience came later. Are they less valued?

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Huh? Aren't all Delft things from waybackwhen all tin glazed faiences? What the heck else would they be?

6. sunday silence

well again I am ignorant. My scant knowledge of the term "faience" is that I usually encounter it with french made ceramics like those ceremonial plates and such. I usually see it describing the more colorful patterns, and since Ive seen that term used with the brighter colored yellow Delft ones you see above and not the simple blue/whites, I thought that was faience. I had no idea all the Delft stuff is faience.

Well sorry. thanks for helping me out

blooey likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Faience, like Maiolica, is just another name for tin-glazed earthenware. Glad to help clear that up for you. ... better late than never (or should I say "Nevers";))

8. sunday silence

but I see terms like "Faience Delft" being used on the internet, as if there are other kinds of Delft. So just to be clear, you are saying that all Delft is faience?

9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

10. sunday silence

ok but then how can one distinguish between say pearlware and faience just from photos? I presume pearlware is distinct from faience but i am very new at this.

Draft saved Draft deleted